716 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
C_H1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

When I create new records and pull in information into my fields, I make individual changes on the fields, however the records are linking with previous records, I selected unlink and it doesnt seem to help

6 Replies 6

Welcome to the community, @C.H! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: Your description of the problem is pretty broad right now. Could you share more specific details about your configuration? Screenshots would be very helpful (even if they’re doctored to hide private data).

C_H1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Let me give you a sample. I am creating a database for students who will be attending afterschool activities (this is a sample database not actual).

Thanks for the added details. First off, I’d like to clarify something that you said in your final screenshot (and by the way, I recommend using screenshots to only capture the actual application screen, and insert comments between images in the comment editor directly; it would be a lot easier to read that way).

To clarify, they’re not linked to each other. They’re individually linked to that record, and Airtable shows you all incoming linked records together. However, your second observation is correct:

Because they’re both linked to that same activity, changing the activity time will affect all linked students.

If you want similar activities at different times—using your example, Mr Green teaching two different art classes: one at 5:30 pm, another at 6:00 pm—you’ll need to make two [Activities] records, one for each teacher/time combination. Then you’ll link students to the appropriate record for the teacher/time combo that they wish.

C_H1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

My issue is that this was a sample in my actual database it is not activities but something aligned with my business and I would need to create thousands of individual activities records - is there no way to avoid this?

Not really. If you need to connect A to B, and C needs to connect to a slightly different version of B, then it can’t be B. You’ll have to make D, then connect C to D. In other words, any time you need to connect to something, and that something needs to be unique from others that might be similar, it needs to be truly unique, meaning a separate record.

Ok, Thanks for clarifying.