Help

Welcome to the Airtable Community! If you're new here, check out our Getting Started area to get the most out of your community experience.

Using Blocks or Integrations to create a clickable festival map

Topic Labels: Extensions
1357 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m wondering if anyone knows of a way to link information in an Airtable base to a clickable festival map? I help coordinate a fairly large science festival with several exhibitors, performers, and activities. We are hosting a virtual event this fall and would like to crate a “map” where people could click on a square/circle/whatever on the map, to lead them back to an Airtable base. Would the 3D block work or one of the integrations?

Thanks in advance for any ideas/help you can offer!

5 Replies 5

I have a few ideas here - But I think for a festival map, I’d recommend you use something like What three words - you could use their API to connect it to locations.

Just a thought. Hope that helps!

I like W3W as well - it’s a very clever approach to geo-tagging the globe. It also has some clear social interface value as well. However…

If you want to create a really custom solution that you own, I would recommend Mapbox and the Airtable API. You can still integrate and geo-encode for use with W3W, but it would not force users to adopt W3W. Think of W3W as an added location enhancement to a solution that works well without it.

I’ve built many mapping solutions with Airtable data using Mapbox and they’ve all turned out really well. This one is a secure Mapbox app built for an enterprise using G-Suite.

Great idea, @Bill.French!

I only suggested W3W because it is a festival, so other map solutions might not be so granular. Typically festivals require really specific locations in small areas of land.

I’ve never heard of Mapbox -Will need to check it out!

Thanks everyone! These are very interesting ideas. I will absolutely check into them. As a follow up…what if we end up creating a “map-like diagram” of the festival that is not tied to any geographical locations per se? (This could happen if the event goes 100% virtual.) Is there a way to integrate Airtable data with a clickable “diagram”? Thanks in advance!

Yep - it’s deal for reducing the quadrant relevance to about 3 by 3 meters which for a human is about your reach from wherever you happen to be standing.

For unfamiliar onlookers to this thread, W3W is a quadrant approach to mapping that extends usability by ensuring that three word combinations are all that you need to know to know precisely where something is. For example, I am at …

Upon close examination, that square is this window in my office -

In a festival context, mapping all the interesting things with 3 by 3 meter precision would allow visitors to see exact locations as they move about the physical space. Unfortunately, this is going to be a virtual festival, so there might not be a lot of W3W interest per-se.