Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Ability to comment at the base, table, and view levels.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
arandomstring
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Please extend the comments feature so that it is broader than the limited focus of per record comments.

Enhanced Collaborative Communication: By allowing comments at different levels, team members can have more context-specific discussions. This feature would enable users to leave comments on a specific base, table, or view, fostering clearer, more organized communication. It would essentially turn Airtable into a more collaborative workspace, where team members can easily discuss broader strategies at the base level, specific data sets at the table level, and particular views or filters.

Improved Workflow Management: This feature would be a game changer for project management. Teams could streamline their workflow by discussing and tracking changes directly within Airtable, reducing the need for external communication tools. This centralized communication would lead to fewer misunderstandings and a more cohesive workflow, especially in remote or hybrid work environments.

User-Friendly Experience: Embedding comments at different levels would make Airtable more intuitive and user-friendly. Users could easily navigate to relevant discussions without having to sift through unrelated comments at the record level. This is particularly beneficial for new team members who need to quickly understand the context and history of a project.

Comments at the view level strike me as being the most useful - views are where most work is taking place and being able to have focused discussions at that level next to the data would be incredibly useful. 

2 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

This doesnโ€™t directly address your need, but in the meantime, here are a few possible ideas for you:

1. Note that you can add Descriptions at the base, table, and view levels in Airtable.

2. There is also a Description extension that you can install into your Airtable base as well.

3. Noloco is a paid, external, interface builder for Airtable that offers its own built-in commenting system that you can use at the base, table, view, or record level.  I donโ€™t remember if I discuss commenting or not, but I gave a brief tutorial of Noloco on this episode of the BuiltOnAir podcast. And I also presented a full one-hour webinar on Noloco called Building a Client Portal on Noloco powered by Airtable.

arandomstring

@ScottWorld 

Thanks for taking the time to respond and flag Noloco/your resources.