Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Ability to create table joints

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arthur_Katossky
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have found myselft several times in the need to create joints between tables. For instance, planning a trip with many cyclists in a relay, I have a skill table (speak publicly, bike nechanic, great cook…) and a period table (May, June…) and at any period, I want someone from the cyclist table with each skill. Other example: I have kids (table pupils) who pass several tests (table test) assessed according different skills (table skills). Third example: I have national sponsors that have local shops. Organising multiple events in different locations, I would like to check if my sponsors have nearby shops in each event location.

In the case of the tour planning, if I come to add a skill to the skill list, I would like all periods to automatically get a new (empty) row for me to know that I am missing a skill. Similarly, in the case of teaching, I would like a new test to be automatically exported into the “assessment” table. In the sponsor case, I would like a new empty sponsor line to be automatically added for each of the events in the “local sponsoring” table.

This could be achieved with a new type of table, “joints”, that are continuously produced as the crossing of two (or more) existing tables. If table A has n_A rows, and table B has n_B rows, the joint has n_A*n_B rows. If I add a row in the table A, I want n_B rows to be created in the rows, one for each row in B. If I remove a row in the table A, I want all the corresponding rows to be discarded.

Probably only the non-empty rows in a joint should be counted in the number-of-rows limit, because joints can become really big, really fast!