Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Ability to lock fields

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Rebecca_Flores
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Unless Im missing it, I would like the ability to lock changes to fields in a base and/or records. Would help prevent accidental deletion. I discovered several days later I had done thisโ€ฆ

76 Comments
Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Thanks for the feedback! Itโ€™s clear to us that our users want more granularity when it comes to controlling the permission levels per field. Including a locked field function is something many of our users have suggested, and it might fit into a more general overhaul of permissioning.

Would you want the ability to lock changes to be just to prevent accidental deletion? Are there any other purposes for which you would lock a field?

When you describe the ability to โ€œlock changes,โ€ can you describe more clearly how you would like the mechanics of that to work? Would you want a button that you can just click in the header of the column? Some setting in the field configuration menu? Would you want it to be password-locked? Something else?

Rebecca_Flores

Well Iโ€™m sure every person has their own definitions and the options could go on. However, those would certainly take time and expense. My thought as a broad and simple option is to have maybe a page button for either lock/unlock to prevent accidental changes. Especially on the many โ€œopen screenโ€ devices widely used. Now, if u are merely wanting ideas and/or suggestions I could go on. Lol. Thank you for your response!

Nik_A_Hafiz

seems almost similar to the query / request in:

Bosco_C
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I also deleted by mistake some records and would like to see some level of record protection as well. I have some records which I share with the others but I donโ€™t want them to be changed. For discussion only, not sure if a field type with 4 attributes would be overkill:
N=no access;
R=Read only and no delete;
W=Read and write but no delete ;
F=Full access, read ,write and delete.

Base owner sets the default attribute.

Sarah_Filipiak

I would also like the ability to lock fields so they cannot be moved around in a view. Two of our tables share views, and cells are copied and pasted between each. Everyone has access to everything, which becomes a problem when someone accidentally or purposefully moves the fields in one of the views, causing our system to break and wasting time trying to figure out how to get the two tablesโ€™ views to match field order again. Thanks.

Stephanie_Avile

Would also love to see this feature implemented. I set up different views for us to track data & ensure goals are met but often times these get accidentally changed by one of the collaborators on the database and it ruins the usefulness of the specific view. I think a simple lock feature would be incredibly helpful whether that is a permission tool or a prompt/warning to unlock if needed.

Rvpert
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for password locking or a field permission for even reading.

Use case: Candidate contact details, Notes on a client, Prevent accidental sharing.

Thank you

Gabriel_Kreindl
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I also would dearly like to see this feature implemented! We use airtable to keep track of study participants in a research study, and accidentally deleting phone number or their unique ID happens. We want to prevent data entry operators from this.

Christophe_Dura
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello
+1 for the fields locking feature.
I have found a way to provide some locking and limit the modification of reference tables in a base

The use case:
see: example base
In the table, Furniture you have a linked field โ€œVendorโ€ which refers to a unique record in the โ€œVendorsโ€ table. By default, when the vendor is set, if a user clicks back in the cell the corresponding vendor form is displayed and can be edited.
If you want to restrict the modification of (reference) vendor information you can do the following:

• In the โ€œMain Viewโ€ of the Customers table add formula fields which contains the values of the fields you want to display and hide all other the editable fields
  • Create a โ€œEditionโ€ view (private if you have a payed suscription) with no hidden fields

By default when you go back to a Furniture record and click on the โ€œVendorโ€ cell the form is using the โ€œMain Viewโ€ layout and only displays not editable information

This does not prevent fools from displaying the hidden fields and mess around but it does provide a (first-level) fool proof mechanism

Enjoy!

Darren_Layne

+1 for the ability to lock fields or particular records. That would be a life-saver in many regards. Something like a little lock button in each expanded record view?