Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Add new linked record when entering data in a form

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daniel_Robbins
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

One of my fields is a link to another table. I’d like end-users who are using the Form to add data to be able to create new records in the linked table but from the primary table data entry form.

139 Comments
David_Liebert
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would really like to know when this feature is coming too. It is a blocker for me for my form usage in collecting information.

Trevor_Ellestad
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Yesssssssss please! Throws the workflow off in a big way to have to tackle this hurdle repeatedly.

Short_Week
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This feature would be a massive improvement for those of us that rely on form input. We rely on forms for much of our data input and the current workaround is that we have to create another “dummy” text field for the form filler to type out their selection and then an administrator has to come in to clean up the data by either assigning an existing record or creating a new one. This feature alone would cut our database maintenance needs in half.

As previous commenters have mentioned, being able to create a new record in a linked table with the primary field filled would be great. However, I think the ultimate solution would be to leverage your existing form functionality and just pop a nested form for the linked table. That way you can set what fields you want as you do with any form. When you complete the nested form, the new record is automatically selected in the parent field.

Alfred_Peters1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yup, need this feature. I’m building a fitness tracker and this would ABSOLUTELY streamline food tracking.

Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

My use case for new linked records from form entries: I’d like my company to use AirTable to track attendance at a series of 9 events.

Each event will have a “Sign-in” table, but we want to see if people attended more than one event and if so how their responses change. Naturally, we have a “People” table that has a linked field to each individual’s sign-in(s). Ideally, we’d like to collect names and contact info (phone number, email, etc)

Our problem is that the sign-in form on the “Sign-In” table can have a linked field to an existing person from the “People” table, but if they never attended one before, they can’t add themselves.

Our workaround is to have attendees enter their info every time they sign-in with the Sign In sheet still having a linked Person field but hidden from the form. We would then have to go in after-the-fact and try and find duplicates for each attendee to manually add a new “People” table entry. This is made somewhat easier by the new DeDupe Block but still requires a manual cleanup after every event, and might annoy repeat sign-ins.

I agree a nested form solution would be ideal. I.e. Someone looks for an existing name and if none is present their allowed to add a new record and fill in selected fields for the new linked record before continuing on with the rest of the original form.

C_Boyd
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 for this feature! Right now I have an over-complicated system where someone has to fill out multiple forms in a particular order to add entries to different tables. This would be a game changer!

Blase_Theodore
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 on this! I really need this feature. My data entry usage hinges on this working.

John_Reinagel
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1: I just spend a couple of hours trying to figure this out. The forms would make data entry easier vs. having to input in the form.

David_Polizzi
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I need this function to add records via Link To Record in Form View the way I can when in Grid View.

Mark_Molter
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Unless every table has an auto PrimaryKey and you link to it, it can be difficult to create a new record. I think Sub forms or a link to next from from another table.

This also falls into the realm of using a form to edit existing records it makes some of these tasks difficult.