Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Add new linked record when entering data in a form

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daniel_Robbins
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

One of my fields is a link to another table. I’d like end-users who are using the Form to add data to be able to create new records in the linked table but from the primary table data entry form.

139 Comments
TimW
5 - Automation Enthusiast

@Matt_Bush,
I also need to add a new linked record through a form.
I am currently trying to do a proof of concept for my director to use Airtable for a company-wide database, however, the lack of this functionality alone will likely steer us to another program.
Please respond urgently as we need this database asap.

MonkeyDoctor

+1 form view is a great concept for allowing me to hire less technically oriented users to insert data into my air table workflows. Also forms that read down a page rather than across a spreadsheet are just faster and more user friendly in many data entry situations. However, in each attempt so far it lacks some final step to make it work.

Today’s roadblock was the one mentioned in this thread.

So I have yet to use form view.

Jeri_Vespoli
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I’d love it if Airtable acted more like the old Lotus Approach - highly suggest the Airtable team buys a copy and reverse engineers features. It is a relational database that allows linking on any fields, table alias capability for multiple linked fields, complete control over displaying field labels and fields on reports, views and forms, and the ability to combine any tables in the base in any form, report or view in any way. Input into a table field from a linked record added the data to that table seamlessly. The only thing Approach didn’t have was cloud access and embed capability!

ApproachCapture3.JPG ApproachCapture2.JPG ApproachCapture1.JPG

Jeri_Vespoli
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Kamille, I run monthly events and have a potential solution for you if you still need one. Call me any time - Jeri 440-590-1954 LinkedIn.com/in/jerivespoli

Mariel_Reed
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This would be super helpful! Any latest workarounds / updates on when this feature will be available through Airtable?

Jonathan_Clark
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This feature would really help with my Organizations workflow. Currently they are having to enter multiple form submissions and re-entering a number of fields for each submission. This feature would be much appreciated.

xoelipedes
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Would love the option to create a new linked element if it doesn’t exist

Susan_Cook
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would also love this feature! I am creating a database for local food options for our office.

I need people to be able to choose from an existing restaurant list or add a new one. If they add a new one, then more fields should appear to add details of location, whether you can sit in etc.

At the minute I’m considering embedding two separate forms on the same webpage - add venue in one or add food in the other. But it’s really clunky!

Suggestions or workarounds welcome. I was looking at using other form services that integrate with airtable but I really like the ability to upload images in the native form.

Sid_Grabosky
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

My form conditionally requires the use of a second form at the moment if a new record is needed for a linked field. This workflow is clunky. It would be much better to create the linked record inline in the same form.

I’m effectively having to choose between data model normalization or good data input workflow.

Liam_Shannon

Yes please. This would be very helpful for a new project brief form.