Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Add new record from a linked field in a form

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MattPowerhouse
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast
What is the proposed idea/solution?

Single and Multi-select linked fields in forms should have a toggle in rules to allow users to add a record.

How does is solve the user problems?

Cleanly and intuitively allowing form users to add new options which may become new trends. @ScottWorld  kindly provided some work-arounds, but it the ideal one would be built-in and mirror the UI of adding a record in grid view.

How was this validated?

Add records in a link to another record field in a form 
When adding a new record from a form how do I add a new record "on the fly" 
HELP - Attendance log with add new record option in a form or interface 
Also my boss was frustrated that it wasn't an option out of the box and we have a project on pause now because of it.

Who is the target audience?

I think this is a feature that will be used for companies using AirTable for internal processes. In my case our employees encounter new types of customer types and customer issues and I want them to be able to cleanly and intuitively add new options which may become new trends.

1 Comment
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Thanks for the shoutout!

Yes, unfortunately, this is one of the current limitations of Airtable’s forms. It is not possible to create new linked records from a form.

But hopefully, Airtable will add this feature in the future!

In the meantime, there are at least 3 workarounds for this limitation:

1. On the first form, give the user a link to another form which will add new records to the linked table.

2. On the first form, in the linked record field, give the user an option to choose from that is called “new record” or something like that. Then, conditionally show additional fields where they can type in the new information. Then, use an automation to add the new record into the appropriate table.

3. Use Fillout’s advanced forms for Airtable, which already has this functionality natively built into its forms. Fillout is 100% free and offers hundreds of advanced features that aren’t natively available in Airtable’s native forms.

Hope this helps!

- ScottWorld, Expert Airtable Consultant