Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Add the capability to execute true Queries

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
William_Collier
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast
  1. **Static Queries: **The ability to create a new table which is a procedurally filtered subset of another table. I.e., creating a table which is a view of another table. Filtered views is all well and good, but not useful for creating filtered look-up tables for other linked tables.

Example: I have a table of Instructors. I have a table of Students. I want to add a field โ€œmentorโ€ to Students, so that each student can have a mentor. But I want only Instructors who have been certified for more than one year to be selectable as mentors. Right now, I can manually create a new table called Experienced Instructors (extends Instructors) and manually add a record linking one-to-one to each instructor whose time as an instructor is greater than one year, and then link a student to one of these Experienced Instructor records, but I have to manually update this derivative table, manually checking each day for instructors who have passed the one year mark. If I could create a table which is a filtered derivative of the Instructors tableโ€“i.e., a true Query, filtering by time since certification, then I could link student records to records in that Query. Then only valid options would be available, and valid options would always be up to date.

1. **Procedural Queries: **Even better would be a procedurally generated query as a datatype.

Explanation: I create a field of type Link To A Query. I select a Table to which to link, just like the current link to another table. But then I get an additional option, WHERE {select: field} {select: comparison} {key value}.

Example: In table Classes, field Classes:โ€œInstructorโ€ is type Link to A Query of table Instructors WHERE {Instructors:โ€œCertificationโ€} {is equal to} {Classes:โ€œSubjectโ€}

1. Additional query options for (1) and (2) above, such as cross-joins.
    Refer to feature request multi-table-queries/1799 by [Jyrki_Keisala]
1 Comment
Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

+1 for sure, this would be great! Narrowing selectable options would make AirTable, particularly its forms, so much better!

A simple potential use case: Table A may have a Select field type with options for โ€œactiveโ€ or โ€œinactiveโ€. This feature would allow new records in Table B to only link to โ€œactiveโ€ records in Table A.