Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Advanced rules for data input and validation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Davide_Cencini
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi, I discovered Airtable just a few weeks ago and instantly fell in love with this application. It’s so cool! I am still new to it, but I’m learning so much.
However, as a former Access user, I’m surprised it doesn’t feature almost any advanced rules for data input and validation in fields. I’m even more surprised that so very few people are asking for them.
Data validation is important. For a solid database, it’s a core feature. Say I want to record a customer’s IBAN for money transfers. An IBAN always has exactly 27 characters; it’s not all right if someone by mistake inputs 25 or 28 characters or puts spaces into it. I need to set the IBAN field’s lenght to 27 characters and request that you fill out those 27 characters, not one less, not one more!
Same goes for zip/postal codes, or tax codes. Validation rules are needed for such fields. A lot of stuff can get messed up if this kind of data is not recorded correctly, such as payments, shipments, fees. It’s a serious matter!
Phone numbers and email fields should be validated, too, because they should not accept invalid characters.
I should be able to set Date fields to accept only certain ranges of data. Such as: “you cannot input a delivery date that is before today”.
I can’t even find such a thing as setting a field to “required”.
Even though the application is fantastic, these shortcomings are a major kickback for Airtable. Please consider introducing these features, I’m sure many users will be grateful!
As I said, I am new to the application so pardon me if I’ve said something wrong or I missed out on issues that have already been addressed.
Love Heart

83 Comments
Emmet_Haughian
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Like the OP, I’ve only discovered Airtable in the last few weeks and I love it and it has drastically improved my ability to manage different projects and initiatives.

Surprised to find though that data validation for fields doesn’t exist. The ability to specify, for example, an email address from a certain domain or a country dialing code in a telephone number I would have thought would have been integral in a database application and hopefully we’ll see it sooner rather than later.

Cara_Bell
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I don’t understand why this isn’t available :woman_shrugging:

Josiah_Moser
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This makes absolutely no sense. I use Airtable to take surveys from the students in my course. I ask them to rate themselves on a scale of 1-10 so I can see a weekly rolling average. I can give them multiple choice, but then I have to calculate the average myself. Or I can give it to them as a number field, but then that one student will put in “132” or “1000000” and it totally screws with the figure.

Shaking my head. This is a MAJOR issue, Airtable.

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You should be able to set up your table to take care of the average for you. Can you describe how your base and its tables are organized?

Conan_Phelan

Ditto. Airtable folks, please add data validation ASAP

Brad_Laney

YES, YES, YES… Data entry validations are key for proper use of just about any form. Also please add: required field flags, conditional logic, and captcha/or some other spam filter. Thanks!

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

These are already part of Airtable forms. Notice the green “Required” switch in the upper-right corner.

45%20PM

Stephen_S
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 on both the absolute necessity for data validation and for requiring entry into some fields when creating a new record.

Alex_Murillo

So sad to see this issue hasn’t been addressed, especially after so many complaints and months. I had high hopes that I would return today with the issue on the verge of release.

The lack of data validation features is a complete showstopper for any serious enterprise (or otherwise) use. Time to go evaluate competing products like Quickbase. Fortunatley, I have SharePoint Online as a stop gap, despite its usability issues.

Verena_Block
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I can’t believe this isn’t available, either. I just started building my first base, and I’m looking to create some rules for my fields. As a long time Access user, this is something I find essential to the integrity of the data.