Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Advanced User Permissions

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Jonathan_Fuller
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Again running into issues with not having more granular control of User Permissions. Wondering if this is on the Roadmap and if so (Though I know you canโ€™t say when) is it one of the higher priority items?

You all are awesome. Thanks!

261 Comments
Brandon_Bennett
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Katherine_Duh @Howie

Looks like thereโ€™s a lot of consensus here on how the permissions could be set up to meet nearly all use cases, and Google Sheets & Smartsheets both have working examples that would be a great start (a million times better than nothing at all).

I work in the office for a construction company and Iโ€™m checking out Airtable. Iโ€™m very close to getting tables set up so that we can use Airtable as our one, master system. Not having any fine-tuning for permissions may end up being a dealbreaker for us.

1. Iโ€™d like to give foremen the ability to checkmark a job complete, add remarks into a notes box, and upload photos, but I donโ€™t want to give them blanket permissions and them accidentally delete or edit a table, record, etc.
  2. The โ€œold guardโ€ here in construction is definitely not computer-savvy, so in addition to permissions control, only letting them see the 1 specific view theyโ€™ll use is very useful. One wrong click into another table/view and theyโ€™ll be lost.
  3. A big concern with estimators/salesmen is that they donโ€™t want their customer info out there for other estimators to try to steal.
  4. Some of the formulas, rollups, and records would definitely need to be lockable, especially ones regarding money. Again, to help prevent someone mistakenly editing/deleting something. Imagine someone accidentally deleting a record for a six-figure project and it not getting billed.
S_L
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Would love to move our spreadsheets to airtable, but need granular permissions, is it possible to have 1 large table with multiple users being able to access it.

Depending upon what we setup id like for instance : a table with 26 columns. Admin users would have read / write access to all 26 columns. Manager users would have read write access to the first 20 columns, and read only to the last 6. Staff users would be able to read / write the first 10 columns, read only the next 5, but not be able to see any others.

Is that possible ?

Jason_Lally
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would also love to see more granular permissions. Hereโ€™s our use case:

1. Inventory of department systems and data
  2. Edits should be made by specific named users that are assigned by a super admin.
  3. Those users can only edit records in their department, but they can view all other records
  4. Those users cannot remove any records
  5. Instead, they flag records for removal and an admin with delete control will take action to remove the record if approved

We can get some of this functionality in Airtable, but we need a user type that has create and update permissions, but does not have delete permissions to begin chipping away at this use case. Delegating users doesnโ€™t make much sense right now without us being able to control deletes. This is for reasons of governance and audits.

Hashim_Warren
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Recently I started freelancing with an ad agency.

I noticed they were using the separate tools that would be better if combined into one Airtable base.

I got excited about recommending Airtable. Could I notch a win with this company by showing how they could save money an and time with Airtable.

Nope, I canโ€™t. Granular permissions are important for this company. They use many freelancers and each one has a set of things they can do and see

John_Beaudoin
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

@Hashim_Warren - Thatโ€™s funny! Coincidentally, I had exactly the same experience with a content marketing group on Thursday! I actually built a demo base for them and did a one-hour presentation, but in the end, I can see that it will not work because of the number of freelancers they need to โ€œpartiallyโ€ involve. Exactly the same issue!

Hashim_Warren
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

I have a hunch that the barrier is philosophical not technical.

1. Airtable isnโ€™t going after the Fortune 500. They want the Fortune 50 million. Businesses and use cases that are too small for anyone to really build a packaged database for.

Thatโ€™s the fashion blogger keeping track of her sponsors and editorial calendar. Thatโ€™s the family owned bodega keeping track of their inventory and suppliers.

1. That means Airtable is competing against Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets. Permission management isnโ€™t what made both of those products so popular.

Airtable works for me because my co-workers actually use it. Thatโ€™s a big difference with other products we tried.

So isnโ€™t that crazy? I want more permissions to lock people out, but if it werenโ€™t for the easy onboarding and adoption, Airtable would have failed at my last company.

I hope they figure out how to cut this knot.

entropic
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I want to +1 this yet again. And Iโ€™ll keep requesting it until we get some sort of more granular control. Nothing too crazy, but it sure would be nice to at least specify specific tables as read only for specific User Types.

Iโ€™m doing annual clean-up on our main CRM & Sales base. Luckily Iโ€™ve got excellent employees so things havenโ€™t gotten too messy, but there are inevitably erroneous records accidentally createdโ€ฆ and every year (or whatever time period) this requires manual clean up.

So please, make 2018 awesome for those of us who care enough to post here (and the many more who could use it but canโ€™t be bothered to post) and add a new User Type. Something with more permissions than Read Only but less than Editor. Thanks!

Sarah_Goerzen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 to being able to lock table(s) in a base. Some tables should be view only and some should be editable.

Tuur
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Fingers crossedโ€ฆ

We have some major product improvements around fulfilling enterprise needs and will be introducing features like more granular permissioning.

Chris_Pearson
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Very good news and a smart move. This will dramatically expand the use cases for Airtableโ€ฆ