Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Advanced User Permissions

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Jonathan_Fuller
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Again running into issues with not having more granular control of User Permissions. Wondering if this is on the Roadmap and if so (Though I know you canโ€™t say when) is it one of the higher priority items?

You all are awesome. Thanks!

261 Comments
FourDots
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Would be nice if Airtable exposed itโ€™s roadmap in a public table in Kanban view :slightly_smiling_face:

Chantal_Carter
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there any update on this?

nnnnneil
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Does this help? What's new - Airtable

Jarvis
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

The Whatโ€™s New is a good list for new features, but heโ€™s probably looking for something like this:

Karo_Castro-Wun
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 Looking to restrict Collaborator Acces to tables

Garland_Coulson
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

No, this doesnโ€™t solve the problem because the viewer can just view it but canโ€™t edit it or add comments.

We need to create views that a staff member or client can work in where they ONLY see their own tasks.

I donโ€™t want one staff member to be start questioning why someone else got the assignment and they didnโ€™t.

And a task like โ€œPrepare to terminate Bob next weekโ€ can be seen by everyone instead of just the HR person you wanted to get things ready.

Jarvis
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Haha, seems like an oddly specific example :stuck_out_tongue:

David_Isaac
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Having experience managing permissions in other systems, I agree with keeping it simple.

My use case: restrict the ability to approve an item (e.g., update the โ€œapprovedโ€ column on an expense request or vacation request) to a group (managers). Another: limit the ability of a group of users (say employees) to see a specific table (say salary data) while still allowing access to other related info (say, employee contact info).

A simple way to accomplish both of these is to put view/edit permissions on tabs. I could combine that with linked records and lookups to accomplish everything I need, with much less complexity than view/column permissions. Tabs could inherit permissions from the base, or have their own.

Tom_Lowe
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Adding my voice to requests for table-level permissions:

We have two categories of data that we use - call them โ€œprogrammingโ€ and โ€œoperationalโ€.

Programming data needs to be edited by lots of people and inaccuracy is not too bad of a problem. Operational data only needs to be edited by two people who know what theyโ€™re doing. Inaccuracy here is a business-breaking problem, so we canโ€™t currently keep it under the same permissions as the Programming data.

Unfortunately the operational data contains some core entities that are relevant to almost everything in Programming world. This means that we need to maintain a second version of the operational data in the programming base - with all the attendant problems that brings.

If we were able to use airtable as the source of truth for our operational data, we would potentially never consider moving to a โ€œRealโ€ database. However this bifurcation means that we can only ever see airtable as a flexible interim solution until we can move to a classic relational database.

Gil_Nimmegeers
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

'+ 1 for this feature.
Role management (permission management) on tab/view level would help a lot!
You could use airtable for that :winking_face: #airtableception