Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Advanced User Permissions

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Jonathan_Fuller
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Again running into issues with not having more granular control of User Permissions. Wondering if this is on the Roadmap and if so (Though I know you canโ€™t say when) is it one of the higher priority items?

You all are awesome. Thanks!

261 Comments
Shaun_Hornsby
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@Airtable_Support has there been any progress/updates on this? What would be beneficial for me is (as an owner) be able to create โ€œpersonal viewsโ€ and specific tables for my sales members, where the filters and hidden fields that โ€œI set upโ€ can not be modified by the sales member. I would like to be able to have 1 table with all sales by the whole sales team but they can only see their sales.

So as the โ€œbase ownerโ€ i need to see all views that i create, but i want my sales team to only see the views that i allow them to see. They should not be able to remove filters or unhide fields that i set. If they are able to create personal views then those personal views should also include the filters and hidden fields that i have created in their primary view.

I would also like to be able to hide entire tables from some or all other members as well.

I guess the easiest way to do this would be to add a โ€œHideโ€ feature to entire tables, or hiding specific views and or columns within a table from โ€œAll membersโ€ or only the โ€œSelected Membersโ€. Having these additional permission levels to Tables, Views and Columns would be great.

I do understand that using the API this can be done on my website BUT, a big part of the reason for using Airtable directly is the ease of use for your mobile apps and having the ability to just open the Airtable app to view, edit or add data on the go with a view that looks great on a mobile device vs everyone having to log into the website everytime to make adjustments. I would imagine that this is the case for most of us

ivan_paudice
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Please Please Please make this happen!
Iโ€™m sharing the entire base with a client because he must be able to edit a very specific set of data (one table). But doing so they can edit my entire base, screwing all the system at will and, more importantly, they can see ALL the data of ALL the tables (eg. other clients tables). Which is absolutely a no go for my specific case

Gregory_Ferenst
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Working with a nonprofit with sensitive user data. We need to specify which users have access to sensitive information in columns. right now, I plan on exporting the airtable to an excel sheet that has coded fields in place of names/identification. But thatโ€™s not a good solution. We may have to move entirely off of airtable to excel, because itโ€™s easier for us to code sensitive data.

Yossi_Goldblatt
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Is their a timeline for this? @Howie_Liu

Jon_Thomas1

I am also eager for some level of permissions on tables (or possibly fields).

We use Airtable to manage projects for a design company. Itโ€™s meant to be a central project tracking source for the entire company. That includes financial information related to the project that, frankly, not everyone needs to see.

One option weโ€™ve considered is duplicating the project info into a separate base, but that defeats the purpose of having a centralized system.

Iโ€™m disappointed that years later after this thread began, there are still no developments on this front and no updates from the Airtable team as to progress or what to expect. Iโ€™m hoping this is still actively being worked on.

Emma_MH
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi there, I second what Jon_Thomas said - I want a central project tracking base for the entire company but I donโ€™t want most of the employees seeing the financial side - there should be a permission level that doesnโ€™t allow them to create new views so that they canโ€™t see any columns you have hidden from their view but still allows them to edit. And you should be able to assign collaborators to specific views in such a way that they canโ€™t see other views or make new views that would allow them to see columns that have been blocked from them. If you could make it so that they can move their visible columns around within their view to their preference and sort/filter only the viewable columns, that would be even better, but even adding a permissions level where they cannot make new views or change the views you assign to them would go a long way. This should be a top priority for Airtable, as it is vital. \

Also, and this is a bit different butโ€ฆ being able to lock columns in a view so that, say, an employee can see how many hours of their time were budgeted for a project but canโ€™t accidentally change it.

aramko_aramko
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

we can make main view write only and rest all linked tables with options as read only !!

Liberty_Bank

Any ability to tie filtering capabilities to certain permission levels would be a lifesaver. To my knowledge, it still is not possible to have only part of a base viewable and editable by a specific user - which is deeply frustrating.

Devin_McManus
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

this is so so desperately needed and probably the biggest weakness Airtable currently has vs. google sheets

I use Airtable in the volunteer management space, which involves a lot of Personally Identifiable Information, and from a data security perspective I need to be able to share as little PII as possible at all times. However, I still need to have the full info stored in airtable for when we DO need it.

The ability to set permissions at the view level would totally solve this. Any updates on this feature?

Matthew_Bold
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for this suggestion. This is the single biggest product gap that prevents us from incorporating Airtable more broadly into our company workflows. It really limits the power of using Airtable as a centralized single source of truth if different groups canโ€™t be restricted to collaborating and editing subsets of that overall data. While there is not single permissions solution that fits everyoneโ€™s needs and also maintains simplicity of UI, it seems that table and view level permissions as a starting point would cover a lot of use cases. Are more granular permissions still on the roadmap? I expect it influences continued user investment in airtable vs alternative solutions for many.