Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Advanced User Permissions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonathan_Fuller
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Again running into issues with not having more granular control of User Permissions. Wondering if this is on the Roadmap and if so (Though I know you can’t say when) is it one of the higher priority items?

You all are awesome. Thanks!

261 Comments
Claudia_Berman
5 - Automation Enthusiast

We really need to be able to have a user update rows but not create or delete rows in a base. It’s too easy to accidentally create a row, then you have to delete it. We can’t add more users until this happens. So now one person downloads to excel where other people update, and then the one person copies the data from excel back into Airtable.

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

@Claudia_Berman You can prevent people from adding or deleting records using Table permissions. See this support article for more info.

Claudia_Berman

THANK YOU! I completely missed that. I couldn’t find it in support, and I can’t believe I missed it in that tab.

Dorish_Chitson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello can’t we have a simple granular permission like only a person who created a row in a table can view it? i really like airtable but as it is i can not use it, i want my users to be able to view and edit only their own records. and not have to create a base or table for each user

Russell_Bishop1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

No movement here then?

Jarvis
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

In 4 more years maybe

Rose_Haft1
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Bumping. Would love this feature.

Jarvis
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi @Rose_K , wanted to bring your attention to the second largest thread in this community, second only to the “linked bases” feature request. The request is 5 years old, and while progress has been made in user permissions, no progress has really been made for advanced user permissions.

We’ve received two or three answers on how Airtable would like to take its time and do it right, and take our feedback in the meantime. But it’s been years since then, and not only have users suggested various ideas on how to achieve it, but other SaaS programs like Coda and Notion have already implemented them within these years. Some SaaS like Stacker and JetAdmin have even built entire products around Airtable which handles user permissions fantastically in the last 3 years. But users shouldn’t be paying $300/month for a basic neccesity like this - it should be baked into the product.

So the question on everyone in here’s mind is, is this something we should give up hope on? I’ve learned over the years as in many cases, anything other than a direct answer (e.g. specific plan in the current roadmap) would be equal to saying “yep, it’s not in our plans now” :frowning:

Last sliver of hope from when I’ve started following this thread from 2017.

Jarvis
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

A month goes by without a reply from @Rose_K or the Airtable team. Very sad to see

Rose_K
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Hey @Jarvis,

Sorry for forgetting to report back here! I did submit this feedback to our Product team, but I don’t know of any movement on this specific feature request at this time. If there is any upcoming movement that I can disclose, I’ll make sure to follow up here!