Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

AirTable Forms don't have the option to add linked info

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lili_Pergamenik
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello!
I noticed that when I use a form view I don’t have the option to add to a linked table information- this is different from when I have it in the grid view.
Why is it like this? It is not user-friendly and makes using forms as an easy way of adding information to our database very hard.
Can you change it?

Lili

2 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the community, @Lili_Pergamenikov!

Yeah, this is a real pain point in Airtable for many users.

There are a few workarounds to this, such as creating a 2nd form where people can add the linked records and then they would come back to the 1st form afterwards.

Another workaround would be to give people a text field (or multiple text fields) to type the new linked record information into, and then create an automation that creates the new linked record after the form is submitted. For very basic automations, you can use Airtable’s native automations. For more advanced automations, you can write a custom JavaScript or use a professional automation tool like Integromat.

You can also recreate your entire form in an external tool like MiniExtensions.com, which natively provides the feature that you are looking for. It is a built-in feature of their product, because their entire company exists to fill in the missing gaps of Airtable.

There are probably some other good workarounds too, which people will likely add below.

If you need help from a professional Airtable consultant to set any of this up for you, feel free to contact me through my website:

Can you change it?

Sadly, Airtable staff members rarely visit this forum, so they almost never read what we have to say here. It’s primarily your fellow Airtable users here.

You should send an email to support@airtable.com with your feature request, but they are also notoriously bad about improving features based on customer feedback.

Robert_Wentjarv
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi! I came across the same problem using forms with linked tables, spending additional 39 $/month to get around this problem doesn’t feel ok. Using 1 or 2 extra text fields and copy-paste will be my solution until something better is coming up.