Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

An option to require Unique Values for any given field

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Matthew_Billiod
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I am glad each table in a base has one key column that must be unique (needed for relational databases), but instead of making this uniqueness requirement only available to the key column, please make this setting available to other fields also.

Some discussion on this topic has already been made (see Unique values in a column), but was listed under โ€œSupportโ€ instead of โ€œfeature requestโ€.

56 Comments
drassi
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Iโ€™d also appreciate being able to force column uniqueness constraintโ€”at least on a tableโ€™s (non-formula) Primary Field. It is a bit confusing that it is allowed at all, if you accidentally have 2 duplicate primary field entries, Iโ€™ve found that certain rollup/aggregation functions donโ€™t work as expected (which is expected if you have database experience, but not for the layperson).

Scott_Barman
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Can I add a +1 for the unique column?!

Alex_Storer
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yep! Example - a form where people can flag a Thing. Has the thing been flagged already? Then the form says no.

Noah_Freedman
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This would be great. Iโ€™m using AirTable as a low-touch high-flexibility CRM, after being frustrated with Hubspotโ€™s poor UX, slow data entry, and difficulty to edit. Needing to manually remove duplicates may be the pain that makes me give up AirTable as a CRM

Orin_Hutchings
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Here is a solution.

At zzBots, we integrated with AirTable to create a bot that will automatically flag any duplicate records in a table based on the field specified.

Here is a step by step video on how to create this bot using zzBots:
If you want to check it out, search the video โ€œHow to Create a Bot That Will Automatically Flag Duplicate Records in Airtable - zzBotsโ€ on YouTube.

Hope this helps!

Areteanism
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey Airtable! It looks like you still havenโ€™t done anything about this- this is absolutely necessary if Iโ€™m going to be able to use you long term! Iโ€™ve been strongly considering paying for a subscription with you after the free trial ends because so far Iโ€™ve been so very impressed with your product! โ€ฆexcept for this.

Seriously, this will end up being a deal breaker. I have to be able to enforce unique record values for my key fields, and Iโ€™d really rather not just make everything refer to an inscrutable auto-incrementing number.

Please take notice of this thread, and act on it SOON!

Henrik_Hoffman
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Agree!

Given that you want your whole org +100 people in Airtable you will have a need for this function in some crucial tables.

Goncalo_Abreu
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is a Must!
Why isnโ€™t Airtable adding this feature? Is there some architectural flaw preventing implementing this?

Please provide some feedback on this, as this is a dealbreaker for me (currently paying customer) - will have to switch to another solution.

Yakub
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Adding my voice to this. I have a table of clients with a โ€œclient codeโ€ column where Iโ€™d like to enter a unique 3-letter code for each client. This is typed manually, but I need an alert if the code is already in use.

William_Galindo
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is a must have small companies with not resources to hire a developer or skills to use access or filemaker, should have a way to prevent duplicated records there are many situations where simple forms required deduplicate like job applications, permit records, receipts, employee ids, etc etc, should not be that hard to code for a airtable talented developers