Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

An option to require Unique Values for any given field

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matthew_Billiod
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I am glad each table in a base has one key column that must be unique (needed for relational databases), but instead of making this uniqueness requirement only available to the key column, please make this setting available to other fields also.

Some discussion on this topic has already been made (see Unique values in a column), but was listed under “Support” instead of “feature request”.

56 Comments
Jan_Alfred_Rich
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

A bit of a workaround that you could use is using the “Unique” at the bottom of your view. As long as it is “100%”, you know there are no duplicates.

unique

Kirk_Heinlein
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for this request. At a minimum, I’d like to make sure that we’ve not accidentally duplicated order numbers that should be unique. Ideally, with this feature it would at least alert us that there is another entry that matches. Would be helpful for both numbers (most important) and text. Fuzzy logic would be a bonus here so we can be alerted if text entered seems “similar”. Of course, we can do all this manually with grouping and sorting, but with over 10K records that seems like a tremendous waste of time when a computer could do it for us on the fly.

Orin_Hutchings
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I previously commented on this post about setting this up in zzBots.

You can now install this as a Bot Pack in the Bot Store here: https://www.zzbots.com/store/ts8rTRcNMqRiHhSvR

Disclaimer: I am affiliated with zzBots

Daniel_H
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Just signed on to give AirTable a go and just as quickly have to give up on it. I couldn’t get beyond two tables before I realized there was no true primary key field. In AirTable’s definition of primary field they indicate it should be unique but offer absolutely no way of enforcing said uniqueness.

Is this still not possible?

Andre_Maia
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Not being able to force PK uniqueness makes airtable completely useless.

Moe
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Unfortunately, you cannot enforce unique values in Airtable itself, but if your data is coming from a form, we’ve built an extension that allows you to prevent duplicates.

Nicholas_Tapia
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

adding my +1 to this. Surprised it doesn’t exist :frowning:

Justin_Kingdon
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I haven’t written it up, but I assume you can write a script in the script block so that when that field is imputed if there is a match in that existing column, it either clears out the field or adds a 1 or something at the end of it.

douglaslassance
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Would be especially important to have unique formula fields.

For instance, take an “Application” and a “Version” table.
An “Application” field on “Version” links to an “Application” record.
A “Name” field on “Version” describes the version name.

You wouldn’t want to have multiple records combining the Application “Sublime Text” and version “3.2.2” at any given time.

You can see how this is usually achieved in a database like Postgres here.

A way to achieve this in Airtable would be to make a formula such as “RECORD_ID() + " " + Name” and activate a “unique” flag on it.

I am sure the details of such an implementation are complex, but I think the general need for something like this makes sense.

Facundo_Sanchez
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This is certainly a must. I’d love to hear comments from Airtable Team at least.