Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Array intersect formula

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Alla_Pob
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have 2 tables, and I need a result that shows only inputs that are the same in both tables.
Hence, to compute the intersection of a number of arrays.

array intersect ( array1, array2 [, array#โ€ฆ ] )
Returns an array containing all the values of array1 that are present in all the arguments.

Where:
array1
The array with master values to check.

array2
An array to compare values against.

โ€ฆ
A variable list of arrays to compare.

Any workarounds at this point?

13 Comments
Elias_Gomez_Sai
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

I donโ€™t understand what you want to do. Why you have the same data in 2 Tables? Could you please explain deeper how is structured you Base and how the Tables are related?

Iโ€™m curious now hehe :thinking:

Alla_Pob

Sure. Letโ€™s say I have 4 tables with the unique records: Client, Industry, Problem, Solution. I input all the data, and the tables look like this:

67e123a31d7433f772057827041b671751a8580f.png

In the Client table, I need a field that would return only the solution that covers Client industry and any of the Client problems. So I can look up for the solutions by the client industry and by the type of the problem. Then I need to marry them to find the best matching solution:

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 2.57.34 PM.png

(To make it simpler, in this example a client is linked to only one industry, but in practice, a client could be linked to the multiple industries.)

Alla_Pob

Did this make the question clear?

Elias_Gomez_Sai
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

I think you should work with the Solutions. I am not sure to have understood all the Base (I donโ€™t understand your screenshots :fearful: ), but you could create a new View with your needed filters, grouping by Cliente or the field that you want.

Lux_Leadership
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I think Allaโ€™s request is very valuable.

How do you write a formula to compare (and give an error message if needed) a fieldโ€™s input to a list of acceptable responses? Single/Multiple select doesnโ€™t cut it when there are many acceptable responses (+500).

An example of this would be a field only accepting responses that are an action verb. I would load a list of the 500 most common verbs in a table, but how do I have a formula check the list and compare it to the field?

Philip_Nelson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

How about a simpler example that led me to this request by Alla? I had just figured out how to do this in Google Sheets by the way. The example:

I have a master list of people I invite to house concerts, say 300 people. As they rsvp I get a new list of those that sent me an RSVP. I donโ€™t want to spam the people the have already RSVPโ€™d the next time I send a message to the master list, so what I want is the master list minus those that have already rsvpโ€™d. That is called the intersection of two sets. If it helps, this is how it is specified in Google Sheets

=iferror(filter(MasterList!$B$2:$B, iserror(match(MasterList!$B$2:$B, B2:$B , false))), "no match")

Column B in both lists are just lists of email addresses.

Matthew_Billio1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Great feature request. I think your request could be lumped with (or perhaps โ€œimprove the followingโ€) feature request by @Jeremy_Oglesby:

Jeremy_Oglesby
14 - Jupiter
14 - Jupiter

@Alla_Pob, @Matthew_Billiodeaux1, @Philip_Nelson,

Would @Alla_Pobโ€™s request be satisfied by the ARRAY_DIFF() function I propose here?

Iโ€™m trying to make a unified feature request for more functions, and I want to make sure I have @Alla_Pobโ€™s use-case covered. If ARRAY_DIFF() would not do it, what would do it?

Matthew_Billio1
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hello Jeremy, although her function fits in perfectly with the feature request you are drafting, this would probably need to be a developed as yet another array function as her request (and mine) is for an intersect function:

Example:
ARRAY_INT([1, 2, 3, 4], [2, 4, 5], [0,2,4,9]) = [2, 4]

Jeremy_Oglesby
14 - Jupiter
14 - Jupiter

Great, thank you - Iโ€™ll add it to the list.