Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Barcode/QR support in Mobile app(s)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Evan_Smith
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I would like the ability to have a barcode scanner embedded in the mobile app, which would allow for automated data entry (for my use case, computer and electronic equipment serial numbers) This would be useful for other applications as well, including shopping lists, inventory, and coupon management.

In addition to the above request, the ability to generate QR codes from record data would add simplicity to data entry. Thanks!

37 Comments
Victoria_Hay
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@Howie @Kasra, any thoughts on this feature request? Thanks!

Kasra
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Hey Evan,

Barcode scanning is something we’re thinking about, and we definitely see how it can be useful.

As for QR codes, would you just want a randomly generated QR code for each record, similar to how the Autonumber field works?

Thanks for sharing your use case!

Kasra

Evan_Smith

For our use, it would be invaluable. We are using airtable for asset management, and it would speed up the process tremendously. As for QR codes, (also my use case) we also do Preventive Maintenance, and once it is complete, we scan this QR code, and it would mark it as complete. It would be linked to a certain record, and update the note field to say: “on 10/9/15 “Username” was here and did PM”

JP_Maxwell

Just want to add that this would be an amazing feature. Yes, the ability to generate a unique ID QR code and print it out with a label maker then scan it in to relate it to an inventory item would be gold. bar code would be fine too.

Douglas_Forster
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi JP – thanks for the suggestion. For tracking inventory do you currently print your own QR codes or barcodes? Or something else, such as pre-printed barcode stickers?

JP_Maxwell

In our use case we run a coworking facility. We currently don’t track our inventory. We’re looking at airtable as a possible solution. So it’s probably less traditional inventory - which would typically come with bar code (like if I’m selling stuff) and more furniture (chairs), monitors, cables, etc. that we make available for our members to use.

Douglas_Forster
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Gotcha, thanks for the info about your use case!

Douglas_Forster
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi @Evan_Smith and @JP_Maxwell, we recently added a barcode field type to Airtable; it should work well for both asset management and inventory tracking (although it cannot generate QR codes).

This blog post outlines how we use barcodes internally for tracking company assets: http://blog.airtable.com/post/135723460962/using-barcodes-for-asset-tracking

I’d be curious to know how the barcode field works for your use cases and workflows, since I’m the iPhone developer for the feature – please reply back if you have any questions/comments/feedback!

Evan_Smith

Hi Doug!

I have been very happy with this added feature, but I do have some feedback to increase overall satisfaction with it.

1. Allow the flash to be used in order to capture barcodes in dark areas.

• In my use-case a lot of our assets are in dark, dank places and this would help immensely.
  2. Allow a picture from the phone to be used in conjunction with this field type.

• This would negate the first list item as well, since flash and auto focus can be used easily.

3.Have a “guide” on the screen that would aid with lining up the barcode, in similar barcode apps a simple line across the camera screen helps.

Besides those few things, you sure have saved us some typing. Thanks for all your hard work.

Douglas_Forster
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Thanks @Evan_Smith for the detailed and thoughtful feedback. We’ll give items #1 and #3 strong consideration for an upcoming release for the iPhone app – I’ll keep you posted.

Suggestion #2 is a really interesting idea, and is a bigger feature since it would require changing behavior on the web site as well as the iPhone app – however, it isn’t something we’re planning to tackle right now.