Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Carriage Returns in CONCATENATE

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Ron_Wessling
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Add the ability to use a carriage return when using the CONCATENATE function.

Name&CarriageReturn&Street&CarriageReturn&State&","&Zip

25 Comments
Victoria_Hay
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your question! As we noted in email, we do not currently support carriage returns in formulas. We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause for you and other users.

Ron_Wessling
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thatโ€™s why I posted here to the Feature Request forum.

Victoria_Hay
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Ron,

Thanks for doing so! I added a message to make it clear for other users that we do not currently offer this feature. Please feel free to let us know if you have any other requests or feedback!

Thanks,

Victoria

John_McNamee
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This would be a GREAT feature for me also. Thanks!

shanti_rubens

Yes, i would love this feature too!!!

Shane_Robinson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Absolutely needed/required for CONCATENATE function.

Julien_Lafleur
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Great feature to add!

Fabio_Vitali
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

yes please, I want this, too!

Tim_Dietrich
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hereโ€™s a way to use carriage returns with the CONCATENATE function:

1. Add a Long Text column to your table. I name it โ€œCRโ€ so that it is easy to recognize.

2. Click into the field, press return, and add the text โ€œ[CR]โ€ (without the quotes) to the second line. Be sure to set the value for every row in the table. (You can โ€œfill downโ€ to do this.)

3. Add a Formula field that concatenates your fields, and place the CR field where you need it. Wrap the CONCATENATE function with the SUBSTITUTE() function, so that the โ€œ[CR]โ€ value is replaced with an empty string. For example: SUBSTITUTE(CONCATENATE(Name, CR, {Street 1}, CR, {Street 2}, CR, City, ", ", State, " ", Zip), โ€œ[CR]โ€, โ€œโ€)

In Airtable, the Formula field will appear to be โ€œflatโ€ (as if there are no carriage returns in it). However, if you copy and paste the field into another application, or if you export the table, you should see that the carriage returns are actually there.

Attached are a few screen shots that might help explain the technique. If you need me to clarify anything, let me know.

I hope this helps.

~ Tim

The โ€œCRโ€ field:
cr-field.png

The Formula field:
formula.png

Bruno_Carvalho

You can simply use โ€œ\nโ€. Like this:
CONCATENATE({Name}, โ€œ\nโ€, {Attachments})

It will work.