Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Barcode/QR support in Mobile app(s)

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Evan_Smith
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I would like the ability to have a barcode scanner embedded in the mobile app, which would allow for automated data entry (for my use case, computer and electronic equipment serial numbers) This would be useful for other applications as well, including shopping lists, inventory, and coupon management.

In addition to the above request, the ability to generate QR codes from record data would add simplicity to data entry. Thanks!

37 Comments
Michael_Hebert
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi everyone, Iโ€™d like to track inventory, so I would scan a product in and when I sell it I would scan it out via barcode. can someone show me quickly how to do this I do have a base created with some products and barcodes and I am using it to track expiration dates, but it is flat. Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan_Schaper1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello,

First of all I love the barcode scanner!

One suggestion, though. It would be nice if the scenner could read inverse barcodes, that is, white bars on a black background. Using inverse barcodes would allow our codes to blend into the equipment more discreetly.

Thanks!

sovstate
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I was hoping to build a base with a barcode field, which I would populate with company ID numbers using our own barcoded ID badges. I got a ways in when I realized that our company IDโ€™s cannot be scanned with the AT scanner. I believe our barcodes are written in CODABAR format - any chance of adding support for this barcode type?
Thanks for considering!

B

David_Schaub-Jo
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks Airtable - weโ€™ve been using you for maybe 18 months and are really enjoying your service. However we - and all our clients in developing countries - are Android guys, not iPhone guys. On this note a) is the Barcode functionality available in the android app (if so, I missed it) and b) if not, can we expect it soon? Thanks, D

Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hey there! I feel pretty qualified to answer this, as one of the Airtable officeโ€™s Android users. :slightly_smiling_face: The barcode functionality does work on the Airtable Android app! You just need to have an additional dedicated barcode-reading app installed on your phone as well.

First, set up a barcode field. Then, when you tap the barcode scan button while in Airtable (the little icon with the camera above a barcode), itโ€™ll ask you if you want to install Barcode Scanner.

Screenshot_2017-09-29-10-17-52.png

If you tap yes, itโ€™ll bring you to the Google Play Store. Once Barcode Scanner is installed, you can use it directly from within Airtable.

David_Schaub-Jo
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

OK, thank you for letting me know Katherine - that is appreciated!
David

Moe
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

If you would like your team to scan a QR code and lookup an Airtable record, we built a 2-steps solution for this:

1. Generate a QR code for every record
  1. Lookup those records with our scanner