Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Choose Dropbox or Google Drive for attachment storage

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Hashim_Warren
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

I would love for my attachments to get sued in my Dropbox. This would allow me to use Airtable as a digital asset manager

18 Comments
Vernon_Fowler
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

+1 for this feature request. :slightly_smiling_face:

Michael_Fields
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Excellent idea. When downloading CSV files you have to reconstruct the URL to view your uploads. If either the URL was different or the image was stored in Dropbox would make life so much easier.

Brian_Kuhnert
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Adding my vote for this featureโ€“it would greatly expand our ability to store and access data.

Nathan_Shubert-

Iโ€™d find this feature exceptionally useful as well. Iโ€™m starting to use Airtable to catalogue audio files (field recordings, composition demos, etc). I love that Airtable has an audio player built in. Ideally though I wouldnโ€™t have to upload my audio files in two places. Iโ€™d prefer to have a single source of truth for these audio files, but use Airtable to catalogue them. Maybe if the attachment field supported external files, then I could drop in a share link for a file from Dropbox, and then have the audio player use this external file. Or alternatively a more sophisticated API driven integration could be really interesting.

Vernon_Fowler
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Radical if we could point to audio on SoundCloud, video on YouTube, etcetera. Is oEmbed an option / necessary or can Airtable do something better?

Where does this end though? Dropbox and Google Drive are super popular storage options. I can just see someone wanting SharePoint and then we all :cry:

Given storage is a key differentiator on Pricing plans, Iโ€™d take a stab and say this wonโ€™t be a feature for the free plan users.

I :thumbsup: 'd earlier. This would be a super cool feature :exclamation:

Nathan_Shubert-

Good point about the pricing plans. Perhaps this wouldnโ€™t be an issue always considering the types of data one could catalogue in Airtable. For example Iโ€™m cataloging field recordings, but even with my paid plan all of these audio files are way too large for the plan anyways. If you were cataloguing video thatโ€™d be even more so the case. So maybe the pricing shouldnโ€™t be a deterrent per se, or this could be a paid only feature.

Vernon_Fowler
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

A paid only feature would be good. :slightly_smiling_face:

Ryan_Lee

1+ for this kind of request.

Dan_Kang1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

We definitely need a way to backup files, otherwise it will be hard to justify using Airtable for anything other than recipes.

What I would want is a way to back up an entire base into dropbox in an automated way, not just the attachments.

Zach_Honea
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for this. Iโ€™m a video producer for a tech company, and I use Airtable to project manage all my productions. I have several Google docs for each project that I need to keep track of (creative briefs, storyboards, scripts, etc), and Iโ€™d love to be able to track them all in Airtable without having to make several columns for each URL. Attaching each doc to a base is fine if youโ€™re living in 2008, but since all my work is done in cloud based storage, it doesnโ€™t make sense to download a file just to make an edit, not to mention having to then share that edit with other stakeholders.