Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Color Code / Hide Tables?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aaron_Owen
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I would like the ability to color code my table buttons in the UI. This way I could group tables together by color and function.

I currently have 11 tables that track different aspects of our business and people access them to interact with the data. I’d like to be able separates these “working tables” from tables I’ll be connecting to Cognito Forms for capturing client entered data. For safety / simplicity, we’ll be adding a new table in Airtable for each form on our website. We’re looking at creating about 8 different forms.

I’d love to be able to color the tables that our employees will be interacting with, and assign a different color to the tables that exist as a data store for form data.

As a related, but possibly separate request, I’d like the ability to hide / show tables. This would be especially useful for join tables that aren’t supposed to be accessed directly, but rather as a way of creating many to many relationships.

31 Comments
Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hey Aaron, thanks for this suggestion! We’ve definitely gotten the request to hide/show tables before. As for the color-coded tabs, I don’t think that’s a suggestion we’ve seen before, but it’s very interesting to hear about your use case and how different colors would help you. I’ll make sure your feedback gets back to the team :slightly_smiling_face:

Aaron_Owen
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Color coding is something I’m used to from video editing applications like Final Cut Pro 7 and Adobe Premiere. Here’s a look at an example of how color coding is implemented in those applications:
Screen Shot 2016-05-21 at 1.48.04 PM.png

Desmond
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Being able to color code tables would be an excellent feature for us as well. This way it would be easy to identify the tables that certain collaborators should work on.

Hashim_Warren
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

I onboard individual staff members to Airtable. But each workflow if different, depending on their role. I would love to be able to say “you can see everything, but only focus on the blue tabs”

Patrick_Davis

+1 for hiding tables. I have a bunch of information tables for locations and other relationship fields and it clutters up the top bar.

Catherine_Robso

The ability to colour code the table tabs would be really useful - as would the ability to hide tables.

Scott_Bleackley
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I agree with hiding and colouring tables.

When we translate Access databases we end up with quite a few tables representing pick lists. Normally when everything is cut over these can be deleted, but incremental prototyping sometimes requires multiple imports before cut over, hence the tables must be retained. Also this is a prototype that may be deployed to many individual sites each with their own access data base to be imported so it is a good idea to retain these tables for future imports, but they really make a mess of the interface.

I hope this helps to motivate this feature,
If there are better approaches to this issues they are most welcome
Thank you

Valerie_Miles
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This topic is old, so perhaps the feature has been implemented and I haven’t figured it out yet, but I would love to color-code the table tabs. My main database is my first table tab. For each record in that table, I need a complete other table tab of a checklist for that deal. It’s a checklist for forms and also a checklist for workflow. At any given time, I have 20 deals in the hopper (and 20 tables to scroll over after my original database and checklist template.) 1/3 of these are active, the others are not yet active, so they require different attention. Another way for me categorize them with color is by clent. It would be much easier for me to focus on the “active” files (tables) by looking at their color. For now I am stuck with putting the table name in all caps vs. all lower case. Rudimentary.

Julian_Kirkness
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi Valerie

My apologies if i misunderstand - however…

My question is why you would have a separate table for each main table records’s checklist - in a database you can link records from one table to another. You would have your checklist records to the main record they relate to - in the Checklist table you could then group the records by the paintable record so that you can see a checklist for each ‘parent’ record. In this way you would only need 2 tables.

Valerie_Miles
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks for paying attention! I love the Airtable forum. Yes, I originally had my tables set up as you recommend- one table for all of my transactions (100s), and a second table for the upcoming & active transactions that required a checklist for forms & workflow. But then it became impossible because each item was not a checkbox, rather, each record on the “checklists” table has many fields to satisfy (form name, description, #, due date, signed by us, signed by them, signed by third party, complete and not applicable and so on…). Also, Within each “checklists” table, it’s nice to have different views - all forms & tasks, all forms, all tasks, remaining forms, remaining tasks. For the amount of logging I do, it’s nice to have a separate table tab to quickly view and click on when I’m focussed on that specific transaction.