Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Colored or Highlighted Fields

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Tom_Marino
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hey folks, thanks for a great product.

Simple request: Can you please incorporate the ability to create colored and/or highlighted fields? Iโ€™d like to call out certain rows within sheets. With the inferior, last generation sheets programs (shameless sucking up) Iโ€™d always used colors for this purpose. I realize I could use a column for this, but its a waste of a column in my mind, especially if you are trying to avoid scrolling left to right.

Thanks for consideration.

89 Comments
Cindee_Nielsen

What you described is how I am currently using colors to sort into groups. It would be helpful to be able to use colors to tag data independent of creating a column, even just to temporarily highlight something. Iโ€™m excited that this option is currently in beta; hopefully it will become fully functional soon.

Erica_Marx
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes, colors please! For the entire column of data. For example, I have a selection of fields that are synced with mailchimp fields. I want to see them easily.

Thu_Anh_Nguyen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Andy, Could you please advise where should I write your suggested code for colouring?
Thanks in advance
Thu Anh

Andy_Lin1
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

The example I gave was only meant as a demonstration of what is possible. The bit of CSS at the beginning will only serve to highlight formula and lookup fields. If thatโ€™s what youโ€™re looking for, then what you need to do is install a browser extension that allows you to insert your own CSS into websites, like Stylus, and then create a new style that applies your base and paste the CSS in.
Unfortunately I donโ€™t know of a good tutorial for something like Stylus, but this is their website, and the first page has a link to a video that shows the basics of creating your own style.:
https://add0n.com/stylus.html

Thu_Anh_Nguyen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Andy,

I was able to install Stylus and cope the CSS you suggested but nothing change on my airtable base. The screen of my work as below. It would be very helpful if you could have a look and advise me what wrong did I do.

Billion thanks

Thu Anh

image.png

Andy_Lin1
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Hmm, it looks like the quotation marks might be the culprit (the forum automatically converts double quotes to โ€œsmart quotesโ€).
div.cell[data-columntype~="lookup"]{ background-color: red; }
div.cell[data-columntype~="formula"] { background-color: red; }

As for the last entry, the column id is usually a string of 17 alphanumeric characters and corresponds to a particular field (youโ€™ll find this by examining the page source), while the column index is a number that corresponds to the field order in the current view. So you might want to try:

div.cell[data-columnid="blahblahblahblah1"] { background-color: ivory; }
or
div.cell[data-columnindex="1"] { background-color: ivory; }

Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hey everyone! Today we just released record coloring, which is a Pro plan feature that lets you set colors for records based on filter-like conditions. It works on calendar, grid, kanban, and gallery viewsโ€”for calendar, the whole card receives a color; for grid, kanban, and gallery, the value in the primary field gets a color flag. Read more about it here!

Andre_Zijlstra
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

@Katherine_Duh personally I would love to see the option of having the choice to set a background color in a column. For example when you present figures and you like to distinguish $ colomns from % columns.
The Single text or Multiple text select would be a stap in that direction, but the colors are gone when you look up this data in another table.

Jacques_Letesso
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I totally agree with @Andre_Zijlstra here. We should be able to set the background color of a cell base on itโ€™s value.

I use AirTable for financial projection and there is no way for me right to underline irregularities through color coding.

This is an absolute must for a tool like AirTable.

The record coloring feature feels like a half-way good solution.

Cheers,

J.

Jacques_Letesso
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is what I do right now with Stylus (very hacky by the way).