Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Comma for decimals

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Thibault_Seynae
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi,

Please allow comma for decimals so I can finally use Airtable as invoicing software.

Thanks

27 Comments
JoseVanni
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there any news on this feature? It is very troubling that this is being postponed for almost 3 years now.

fcolaco
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Airtable Team, please consider moving this idea as a priority. Are you against commas?

nvh
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but I figured out a way to do this within the current constraints of Airtable. It does require an extra column in your sheet though, so it might not be for everyone.

Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 09.06.40.png

The short version is, use a string for the column with your comma version of the value, and a formula field that is formatted as a currency with a decimal value, and add the following formula:

VALUE(LEFT(currency_string,FIND(",", currency_string)-1,1))+IF((LEFT(currency_string,FIND(",", currency_string)-1,1)<0),-1,1)*VALUE(RIGHT(currency_string,LEN(currency_string)-FIND(",",currency_string)))/100

The way this works is as follows (you could create separate formula columns with these to understand the process better)

It splits the `currency_string` value up into a part before the comma and after the comma:

integer = LEFT(currency_string,FIND(",", currency_string)-1,1)
decimal = RIGHT(currency_string,LEN(currency_string)-FIND(",",currency_string))

It uses the `VALUE` function to turn them into values:

integer_value = VALUE(integer)
decimal_value = VALUE(decimal)/100

Then, to get the sign, correct, we need to multiply the decimal with `-1` if the integer is below zero:

decimal_value_with_sign = IF(integer_value<0,-1,1)*decimal_value

And finally, we add up the two values:

currency_value = integer_value + decimal_value_with_sign

davisonpc
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

And We are in 2023 and AirTable team has died. Do They know that AirTable has a forum? I think non-US aren't welcome here

Kameli_Kyttyrai

I'd say that everybody needs to send feature request of this weekly to get the message in there...

It's just ridiculous that basic internationalization feature like this is not implemented within first weeks of development for a product like this.

And don't get me wrong, I love everything else about Airtable.

tomasprado
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Please, give us this feature to use international numbers . We use commas as decimals separator and not dots. Thanks

Kameli_Kyttyrai

I have to say, if you haven't noticed - This feature actually came to Airtable short while ago without any major notification (or I might miss it...?)

Anyway! Now you can format your number fields to accept comma as decimal and also get rid of thousand separators if (when!) needed! It's not global setting though but a field specific. So this might bring some issues with international co-operation...

I took long and many frustrating feature requests and forum posts. I can finally let others (that might not be so into things you know...) use Airtable as well to input numbers!