Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Conditional Grouping?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul_Gheorghiu
5 - Automation Enthusiast

It would be nice to apply groupings based on whether a certain condition is met. My main use case here is keeping track of music releases where some entries have only one main recording artist/band, while others have multiple (splits). While I’m referencing each artist’s side of a split as a separate entity, I’d like to still be able to keep each release grouped together if possible. Something as mocked up in the image below where entries are first grouped by their release type (LP, Split), and then if it’s classified as a “Split” release, apply a grouping by the release name:

ConditionalGroup.png

While there are a number of ways I can think of to get around the appearance side of this issue, most don’t cleanly (if at all) address any needs I may have to compare artist C’s data vs artist D’s data on their B split release, all the while looking at all other releases I’m keeping track of as well. Currently I just stick with the simple format grouping as shown below, which works okay, and I get by with that as needed.
CurrentGroup.png

12 Comments
Elias_Gomez_Sai
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

I think to have repeated Records is a very bad a idea, and it’s against the principles of a database. I think you should use an Auxiliary table (or maybe just link to multiple records in the Linked Record field): https://support.airtable.com/hc/en-us/articles/218734758-A-beginner-s-guide-to-many-to-many-relation...

I don’t understand this part, as you already can do that as seen in your image. Or have you photoshoped it? I feel lost :thinking: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I still think you need a join table. Let me build a demo for you.

Paul_Gheorghiu

Hi Elias! Thanks for taking the time to respond!

I don’t understand this part, as you already can do that as seen in your image. Or have you photoshoped it? I feel lost :thinking: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yeah it’s photoshopped, that’s the closest to what I ideally want, visually. :slightly_smiling_face:

I think to have repeated Records is a very bad a idea, and it’s against the principles of a database. I think you should use an Auxiliary table (or maybe just link to multiple records in the Linked Record field)

You’re absolutely right and it’s mainly due to the way I’m interested in looking at the information. I’ll share an example of my implementation in a moment.

Elias_Gomez_Sai
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

What is the difference between LP and Split? I have understood that is only the number of artists (1 or several). I have updated the Base to reflect that.

Also, you can Group by several conditions, and you’ll get that photoshoped image. Or I am missing something? :roll_eyes:

Paul_Gheorghiu

The demo table you provided is great for contributors to an album, but what I am looking for is something where, say, Jimi Hendrix writes and performs 2 songs, and then Madonna writes and performs 2 songs on the same release, and my goal is to look at both artists’ contributions individually. I considered having a separate table for the artists themselves, but that did not really offer the solution to duplicate records. It’s really in this case where my approach fails.

As I’m thinking through it, I think I can optimize with a join table and linked record fields allowing multiple records (which is something I neglected to do initially).

Paul_Gheorghiu

Also, you can Group by several conditions, and you’ll get that photoshoped image. Or I am missing something?

This is the closest I can get (based on my understanding of what tools are available). It’s close to what I’m looking for in the mockup, but I don’t want to have the grouping to apply within single artist release types.
Group2fields.png

Elias_Gomez_Sai
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

If the same Artist do all the functions on the Song, you can rename the Contributions table to Songs. If not, you need a Songs table (as you already have in the linked Base).

I’ve updated the base, you want something like this?

Captura de pantalla 2018-01-03_11-00-01_p. m..png

Paul_Gheorghiu

Songs would be needed, correct. The update is closer to what I’m looking for. However, on the “See the Sun” album, how do I apply distinct scores to Madonna’s 1 song vs Justin Bieber’s 2 songs and make them show up as such within the Releases table for that album?

Elias_Gomez_Sai
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

What do you mean with scores? You can show Songs data in the Releases table with Lookup and Rollup fields, but all together in the same field, not by lines. If you want a row for every Contribution, you have to see it on the Contibutions table.

Paul_Gheorghiu

Like a rating, percentage, point, weighting factor, what have you. Ordering based on personal taste.