Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Converting a multiselect into a "Link to another table" changes the functionality too much

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Phil_Deschaine
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

On a multiselect, each option can have a color. The autocomplete (when typing on a desktop) or color options to tap (when on mobile) is also very visually pleasing.

If you convert it to a record to another table, both desktop and mobile change quite a bit. You have to manually type out a few letters to get options. They’re not color coded. It’s just way different.

I have a very important multiselect that I’m downright afraid to convert. It’s too important to lose those (seemingly small) features. So I have another table which I manually update when I add a new option to the multiselect. This is less than ideal. It means I can’t get a count of how many of each option exist across the table.

Would be cool if you could bridge the gap here.

3 Comments
Matt_Bush
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Over time we’d like to make the linked record field more powerful and a more consistent user experience with selects and multiselects, and we appreciate the feedback about what you think the biggest gaps are.

We’re currently exploring ways to support color-coding for records. One approach we’re considering would allow you to assign color to linked records similarly to how you assign color to selects and multiselects.

Kwanza_Jones
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Any updates on this? Is it on the product roadmap?

Alexander-Jerry
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Yeah! I recently posted this idea in the suggestions thread. You could have linked record colors match the color settings on the default or the conditional color settings of a specific table (limit selection to a view).