Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Copy Columns to Other Bases

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Kyle_Stenson
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I would like a way to easily copy and paste columns, along with entries, field type, etc. from one base to another.

12 Comments
Richard_York
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I use my browserโ€™s Copy/Paste function.

Kyle_Stenson
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I suppose that mostly works. Although, it doesnโ€™t copy the header or update the header field type. You can highlight cells like in Excel but I wish you could include the headers.

There is no way to duplicate a tab to another base that I see. You have to export it to CSV and then import it to the new base.

Richard_York

Ah. I see your requirement.

Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Kyle, if you copy and paste and expand the table to accommodate more fields, the pasted fields will have the same titles and field types as what you copiedโ€”read this help article for more details.

Kyle_Stenson
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi Katherine,

When copying and pasting, the fields (cells) will update appropriately but the headers with the customized โ€œField Typeโ€ cannot be copied as far as I can tell.

Katherine_Duh
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

If you are pasting into existing fields, then the headers will not update according to what you are pasting into it. This is because you may not necessarily want to copy the field type or the headers when you copy and paste something from one field to anotherโ€”you may just want to copy the raw data.

If you are pasting a greater number of fields/records than are in your table, however, the new fields/rows that are added will have the same titles and field types as the ones you originally copied.

If you are looking to copy and paste the exact same set of fields/records from one table into another table that already has a bunch of stuff in it, I would suggest:

1. On the right-hand side of the new table, creating a new, blank field of the same type as the leftmost field of the selection you copied
  2. Click into the new, blank field you just created.
  3. Paste (ctrl + V/cmd + V)
  4. Make sure to select the option to Expand the table so that all of the pasted cells will fit.

If you do this, youโ€™ll only have to change one field type/field name (the first new, blank one you created), and all of the other fields that you paste in will be of the same field type and field name as the data you copied.

Kyle_Stenson
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Interesting workaround. Iโ€™ll give this a shot. Appreciate the detail!

Jaime_Erne
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

When I do this, the column name is โ€œPasted Field 1โ€, โ€œPasted Field 2โ€, etc. I canโ€™t find any way to paste the column titles and settings. Any suggestions?

Su-Ji_Fae
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Iโ€™m running into the same โ€œPasted Field 1โ€, โ€œPasted Field 2โ€, etc. issue. Any solution? I have hundreds of fields for which I would have to change names and field typesโ€ฆ

Elaine_Chan

I have the same problem. I wish there was a copy field option