Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Default values for hidden form fields

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jason_Yee
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Currently any fields that are hidden on a form will be empty when the form is submitted. It would be nice to be able to set hidden form fields to a default value.

For example, let’s say I have a “wizards” table:
Name | House | Level
Harry P | Gryffindor | 1
Ron W | Gryffindor | 1

And I have a wizard form that asks for Name and House, but Level is hidden.

I would like all form submissions to automatically enter 1 for the level. I do NOT want this field shown or to use the prefill_ method because that would let people set their own level—and we all know that Malfoy kid would set it to 5 or something inappropriate.

At the moment, the only way I can do this is to use an external form system and an integration like Zapier which lets me set the default when mapping to Airtable.

13 Comments
Andre_Felipe
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1

Also need this! Would create several forms, one for each client, all which saves the records in the same table, but selecting the respective client.

Alex_Printer1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I used automation to achieve this. When a user fills in the registration form the automation updates another table named ‘Activity Claim’ with a dynamic value from the form and a static value which is the default value you are suggesting you’d like to add. Screenshot attached.Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 14.41.29

Badri_Sunderara
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I was just thinking of using automations in some such way when I came across your reply. Would be great to have an in-built per-form pre-fill feature, of course, but as a workaround this looks like it’ll work great :slightly_smiling_face: