Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Disposable Tables/Bases

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dk82734
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect
What is the proposed idea/solution?

Provide a mechanism to identify and flag STALE tables/bases within a given Airtable workspace. Stale tables/bases are those where the data has NEVER been accessed within the last 30/60/90/180 days. Consider allowing base creators to set an OPTIONAL time-to-live (TTL) timestamps either on a per table or per base.  If data has not been accessed either by a user or by an API after that time, then auto-delete the table/base.

How does is solve the user problems?

In many environments, there is "data sprawl" where users may randomly create "test" tables/bases for short-term purposes.  It would be nice to identify and flag where stale data exists, so that it can be purged as needed.  This can be a compliance requirement for many industries, depending on the type of data stored within Airtable.

How was this validated?

Teams can spend DAYS or WEEKS per month trying to figure this out.  Having a mechanism like this would save countless hours of manual review.

Who is the target audience?

Airtable administrators

Notes:

* 7 days before a table/base is about to expire, email the creator of the table/base to notify them the content is about to expire. Include metrics about how frequently the data has been accessed in the past 30/60/90 days by users or API calls.

* Provide a quick mechanism for administrators to: extend the TTL by a fixed amount (like +30 days) OR turn OFF the TTL altogether.

1 Comment
WilliamPorter
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

I'm not sure I'd want to use the auto-delete function you propose, but I do like the idea of being able to identify when bases have last been opened by anybody. My workspace tells me when bases were last opened but it seems that may show only when they were last opened by me. 

While we're at it, I also wish it were easy for me to see how many records there are in each base, total, so I can keep track of whether any of them are getting close to hitting the limit.

WilliamPorter_0-1702659533537.png