Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Dynamic Row Height

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ron_F
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi,

As far as I can tell, currently you can set row heights to Short/Medium/Tall/Extra Tall. This height setting is applied to every row in the base.

It’d be nice if there could be a “dynamic height” option, where each individual row is set to a height depending on its longest content. So a row that has a cell which requires 5 lines to display will have a height of 5 lines, while a row whose longest cell is only 1 word will be still be the “Short” height.

This would be really useful for bases where we have text content that varies greatly in length (for example, user responses to an open-ended survey question). Right now, I have to set the height to “Extra Tall” to fit in most answers, but this wastes a lot of space because there are also lots of short answers which end up taking up way more space than they need.

19 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Totally agree that this is a major missing feature.

Taylor_Marlow
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Yes definitely agree with this - adjustable height of rows to display more text would be a key feature for ability to use it on more projects.

Eric_Shank1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

absolutely essential… I am now wasting time looking for a 3rd party solution, which could even lead me away from using Airtable…

crazylazydoodly
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

yes this is critical for my workflow too.
does anybody know a different online table solution where this dynamic row height is possible?

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Be sure to email support@airtable.com. Even though they famously don’t listen to customer requests, you never know what the future will hold. It’s good to at least bother them about it. Maybe someday they will have a management overhaul who will decide to listen to customer requests at that time.

In the meantime, MiniExtensions is the service that is dedicated & committed to fixing all the hundreds of flaws in Airtable, and they are fully focused on filling in all the glaring holes in Airtable.

Check out their grid view below, and if they don’t have what you need, they are extremely responsive to user feedback (unlike Airtable, which ignores user feedback):

Raymond_Arnold
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Also feels essential for me.

David_Browne

Would like to be able to adjust the row height more so that I can see the full record. Extra Tall isn’t tall enough.

MikeNew

Dynamic row heights with text wrapping would be greatly beneficial to data visualization for my projects

jeremycastro

Please!!  I'd love this