Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Feature Request: More rule sets for coloring

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marshall_Bryant
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I’ve been looking at Airtable for about a month now and I’m trying to convince my company to switch from Google to Airtable. One issue is that we create an assignment sheet every day some of which are of specific priority levels. Our problem is that we can only create 40 rule sets for coloring cells. First off, I don’t understand why there is a limit at all. Something I’d like to see even MORE is the ability to color cells without creating a rule for it and ideally the color would fill one single cell and not only be visible next to the row number. With a product that seems to emphasize “your data the way you want it” this seems to be quite an oversight.

1 Comment
Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the forum, Marshall! Unfortunately I don’t think that Airtable is going to give you the color flexibility that you’re seeking. More than 40 colors may be doable, but individual colors per “cell” will not likely ever appear, primarily because Airtable doesn’t operate in terms of “cells” like a spreadsheet does.

In Airtable’s default grid view, it may look just like a spreadsheet with cells, but each individual space is actually a field in a record (row). That’s why the color appears on the left, because the record is a single unit, and all fields in all records behave the same, even though they contain their own data. In other words, a field is simply part of a record, not an independent piece on its own. If a field were allowed to be styled, all fields in all records would inherit that same style, just like all fields in all records inherit the field type set at the top of the field column.