Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Dynamically send Slack Action Message to channel

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Zeus
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator
What is the proposed idea/solution?

Would be really helpful to be able to dynamically send a Slack Action Message to different channels. As it stands now, static is the default and only option if you want to hook up the Slack Action Message to a channel. For some reason though, you can dynamically send a Slack Action Message to different users. Need this same ability for channels. The possibilities are endless.

Who is the target audience?

Any type of agency that want to streamline client approvals

9 Comments
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

I totally agree that this would be a great feature!

In the meantime, some workarounds for this issue are:

1. Easy solution (no coding): Create conditional automation actions. (Yes, this would be very redundant & tedious to setup & maintain.)

2. Easy solution (no coding): Use Makeโ€™s Slack integrations. No redundancy here and no tediousness here, because dynamic Slack channels are natively built into the platform. 

3. Harder solution (coding): Write a custom JavaScript.

3. Harder solution (coding): Use the DataFetcher.com extension.

Zeus
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Nice! What would these conditional automations look like @ScottWorld?

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto
Zeus
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Yes haha - I know how to configure conditional automations. I was curious to hear more about what exactly this might look like in the use case we're chatting about here.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

What do you mean? If X, post to this channel. If Y, post to that channel.

Zeus
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I thought you were implying that you could do a conditional automation as a Slack Action Message.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yes, thatโ€™s exactly what Iโ€™m saying. Set up a conditional automation. 

Zeus
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Ohhhh I get it now my b lol. Definitely would be high-maintenance but thank you for the idea!

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Haha, you're welcome! Sorry if I wasn't explaining myself clearly. Yes, it would be a lot of maintenance to do it with Airtable's Automations, but if you want to explore Make, there would be no maintenance involved because you can get the dynamic channels that you're looking for.

There are at least 4 or 5 different ways of accomplishing this in Make, but one of the easiest & quickest ways is to just create a formula in your Airtable base that equals the channel name that you want to post to. Then, just insert that formula into the Slack action in Make.

Check out the screenshot below for how easy this would be in Make. But as I mentioned above, there are many other ways of accomplishing this same result in Make as well.

Also, there is a small learning curve with Make, which is why I created this basic navigation video to help. I also provide the links to a few other Make training resources there as well. For example, to instantly trigger your Make scenarios from Airtable, check out this thread.

p.s. If anyone reading this thread needs to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help them setup something like this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable Consulting โ€” ScottWorld

Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 12.59.49 PM.png