Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Easy way to change the local time zone

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Sanshiro_Cabana
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

guys, we need an easy way to change the local time zone!

will be ok if we have the time zone option on our admin panel or something, i donโ€™t wanna search for formulas and stuff like that to use my local time zone

13 Comments
Nora_Brown
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

It would be great to set a timezone on a per-base or per-account basis. So, if you have collaborators in separate timezones, youโ€™ll always see dates and times in the chosen time zone, but donโ€™t have to deal with offsets from GMT.

Liam_Shannon
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This needs to be implemented as a very high priority.
We are considering introducing airtable to our business, with the intention of rolling it out across multiple departments.

But this would legitimately be a deal breaker

Requiring coding per column to avoid date and time zone confusion is not acceptable from a usability standpoint, for what should be a relatively simple and regularly used task. I would be able to personally live with the workaround, but itโ€™s already a hurdle to get some of the less technically minded in the business on board without unneccessary roadblocks for a function that even the least technically minded will need to use on a daily basis.

Cathy_Feeman
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I agree! This is basic design. This is a project management tool with a ridiculous design flaw. WHY would I pay money monthly for a product that cannot perform such a rudimentary function?! It is NOT connecting with my local time zone, it is 2 hours (and a few minutes) off! How can I collaborate with team members and plan events and programming with a calendar/clock from another time zone?

Gio_Coaching

Agree. Although we can use a formula to convert GMT time to a different local time, the calendar view does not allow us to use this formula field as a start date or end date. There is no way to view a right calendar with right time.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You can use any formula field as a start date or an end date for the calendar, if the formula actually results in a date/time format. You can tell if youโ€™ve created your formula correctly by seeing if the formula gives you a โ€œformattingโ€ tab that has changeable date/time options in it.

In the meantime, until Airtable gives us more time zone control:

For anybody struggling with time zones, I have created a demo video & sample base which walks you through the entire process of using time zones in your system here:

Jimmy_Little
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I know this is an old topic, but Iโ€™m new to Airtable and itโ€™s just maddening.

Iโ€™m in California, and itโ€™s 7PM on March 4. I run an API call to update a record using a {Date}=TODAY() query, and the record for March 5 is updated. If Iโ€™m on a computer set to Pacific time, using a database thatโ€™s seemingly in Pacific time (if I type NOW() into a date field, it inputs the current date and time in Pacific time zone). Iโ€™ve read of the โ€œuse the same time zone for all collaboratorsโ€ setting, but itโ€™s only an option if I turn on the time in my date field, which I donโ€™t want.

Airtable is so powerful and easy to use, but itโ€™s a thing like forcing me to wrap every date in a function or have phantom formula columns that are just there to set a time zone that make me question if itโ€™s worth the trouble.

Jimmy_Little
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

UPDATE: I changed the query function from {Date}=TODAY(), which seems to ignore the userโ€™s time zone, to just sending the query {Date}='2021-03-04T00:00:00.000Z'.

Itโ€™s a couple extra steps pre-query to get the current day and format it correctly, but it is a good enough workaround to Airtableโ€™s current (and apparently long-standing) limitations on time zone support.

Kenneth_Anders1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Helloโ€ฆhelloโ€ฆAirtableโ€ฆhave you heard this feature request?

Tap, tap, tapโ€ฆHELLOโ€ฆechoโ€ฆechoโ€ฆechoโ€ฆ

I guess notโ€ฆ

Peter_Langford

Any update on this problem? Iโ€™m in Australia and a simple month(today()) function doesnโ€™t update until weโ€™re many hours into a new month.

kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Because formula fields are calculated on Airtable servers and must store the same value for everyone, and users can be in multiple time zones, formula fields use GMT by default. This is unlikely to change.

Try using SET_TIMEZONE in your formulas that do not return only full dates. (If the result is only a full date, the format options can take care of the timezone.)

Note that TODAY will still take several minutes to an hour or so to update.