Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Eval() Function, Different Formula for Each Record

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Tom_H
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Iโ€™ve found the need for an Eval() (Evaluate Function) that would allow you to have a different formula for each record in a table. For example, if you have a field called Formula Text with the following data for the first 3 records:

1. TRIM(UPPER({Input Field 1}))
  2. CONCATENATE({Input Field 2}, " ",{Input Field 3})
  3. CONCATENATE("Expiration Date: ",{Input Field 4})

The Eval() function would allow you to create a new field called Formula Result, whoโ€™s properties are set to Formula with the following formula: Eval({Formula Text}), and the results for the first 3 records would be (Iโ€™ve omitted sample data and have just performed the functions in the formula to the names of the Input Fields):

1. INPUT FIELD 1
  2. Input Field 2 Input Field 3
  3. Expiration Date: Input Field 4
1 Comment
Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Yep - I miss this functionality which is present in Coda Docs and spreadsheets. Google calls them Array Formulas.

=ArrayFormula(SUM(B2:B5 * C2:C5))

Perhaps a more elegant approach, a field-level formula. A field (or column-based) formula could be applied in-place or in an adjacent field, thus making it possible to simplify the table structure. I believe it may be more processor efficient as well. I believe array formulas may also present some maintenance advantages.

In any case, an array formula could be used to achieve the objective in your example, but I suppose it would be nice to have the option of both approaches.