Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Field type Request: Checkbox List

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Steven_Hambleto
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This is a big one but Iโ€™d love to see a checkbox list field.

I can then ditch Trello!

37 Comments
BenInDallas
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

A checklist would be very useful, and quite easy to create, if Airtable incorporated a feature like the Nested Table Iโ€™ve described here: New Field Type: Nested Table

In this case, youโ€™d just created a new field (letโ€™s call it โ€œChecklistโ€) and set the field type to the newly added โ€œNested Tableโ€. Then you identify whatever columns you want in your table (at very least, youโ€™d need a column for the check box, a column for the description; but you might also want columns for due date, priority, etc). Now, you can add rows for as many checklist items as you need.

Carlos_Pita
5 - Automation Enthusiast

See this for a more general solution Generalize multi-valued types

Nick_Rothwell

Just to jump in here - I see that an attempt to group checkboxes via a Lookup column (against multiple records) results in a single checkbox, whose value appears to be โ€œcheckedโ€ if any of the linked columnsโ€™ checkboxes are checked, and clear otherwise. Iโ€™m finding this useful, but undocumented, and could see the use for โ€œandโ€ (all linked checkboxes checked) as well as โ€œorโ€ (one or more linked checkboxes checked). Though: โ€œandโ€ would need well-defined behaviour for an empty linked set.

Nick_Rothwell

(What Iโ€™m using this for is a view filter in Calendar mode: show items where linked columns are checked. If it were a checkbox list, then I can see the argument for having a view filter for all boxes checked, and for any boxes checked - and the inverses.)

Alex_Sharp
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 A subtask checklist is very important and pretty standard in task management systems, which is a pretty common use case for Airtable. You should be able to easily add a checklist to a record. It should be a first-class feature rather than a workaround.

William_Nutt
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 on ditching Trello once this is implemented!

Scott_Tousley
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 please! The only reason we havenโ€™t completed ditched Trello is because Airtable doesnโ€™t have this subtask checklist feature. You will destroy the competition as soon as you build this! :slightly_smiling_face:

Chris_Lu
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 to this. Weโ€™d like to use Forms using multiselect responses containing a large amount of text. The multiselect field type wonโ€™t display the full response text. Multiple check boxes would resolve this.

David_Isaac
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Great idea. A lightweight alternative to a linked detail table, and easier to copy/reuse.
One implementation suggestion: if this was done as a rich text field (say, an extension to a multiple lines of text field) and I could include checkboxes in a table, that would be a really flexible solution. Then I could use Airtable to manage test cases (Step Number, Expected Value, Actual Value, Done Checkbox columns), employee on-boarding (Step, Notes, Done Checkbox columns), etc.

Leonardo_Cesar_
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I want this feature too! โ€ฆ