Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Find a Record to Link - Search Expansion

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jason_Woltz
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

20160209210149807.png

The ability to input a new record into my maintenance table requires choosing a record to link from my assets table. The issue of using auto number Unique Id’s for each table means the linked record search is not very useful. I have a table of more than 100 assets of different types. The “find a record to link” search function only lets you search according to the unique id, without being able to thin the search down by using the other columns like Type, or Asset Designation, or Manufacturer or Serial Number.

I believe a suggestion was made to allow a user to create a filter for the “find a record to link” search, but I think simply expanding the search capability beyond the first column would be ideal.

29 Comments
Polen
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I want to revive this request and voice my wholehearted support. When searching for a record in a target table to link to the record in question, it would be extremely valuable (and awesome) to be able to enter search values that are looked up in other fields.

Generally, I would normally have to go to the target table, locate the record, note the value of its name field and then go back to the first table and use that info (in my head) to find the record. Or create the link directly in the target table which in many cases it’s not convenient nor preferable, and may involve back and forth review and look up (or a second browser tab). Definitely time consuming and awkward, but worse, error prone.

I hope this is pretty simple, you see my request, and implement it :slightly_smiling_face:

Matthew_Billiod
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Agree: I want to revive this request and voice my wholehearted support.

Some people have requested filter views be made applicable to the pop up box on the linked fields columns:

Filter on linked fields https://community.airtable.com/t/filter-on-linked-fields/507

What is being requested in this post (a search expansion) is a simpler solution than adding a filter for the linked fields pop up. Additionally this Search Expansion may help placate (for a little while) those who are waiting for filter views to be made applicable to linked fields (me included).

Nickie_Bertram
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would love to see this happen! It would make linking information a simpler process.

TonyH
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Ditto. Truly odd that it was programmed this way. This inefficiency is jarringly counter to the wonderful intuitive ease of the rest of the program. I assume it was simply overlooked. +1 for simply searching all fields for now.

Helmi
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Being quite a new user I just stumbled across this problem and I’m a bit shocked that this is already discussed here for such a long time and no one from airtable even reacted to it.

Somehow basic functionality that is missing.

Anton_Preisinge
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I would also like to throw my support behind this feature. It would be great to have all the fields of a record involved in the search query when linking to said record. This would make finding the appropriate record much easier.

I’d use this most to link to donor records in a base managing my nonprofit. I keep the donor names private, connected to a donor ID. That donor ID is currently the only thing I can search for so to find a specific donor I have to go to the donor page and find their number first…not terrible but very inefficient.

Thanks!

dave_brand
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This would be a really nice Feature.

I would Like to Filter the records in The search. F.e.

Link to customers
Customer ID

Would be awesome to Filter trough it by Just typing:

Shows all man from us…

Kai_Muscher
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I agree a 100%!!! We desperately need to extend the search when trying to find an existing record from a lined table. Only searching for date in primary field is not enough.

For example: I have an “inventory” table with hundreds/thousands of line items. The linked table is my “shipping” table where I select items from the “inventory” for individual shipments. But sometimes I don’t know the PO (primary field in the inventory). To search for vendor name or other would be a great help to find the correct line item to be shipped. I guess there are many similar situations like mine.

Thanks for you attention! Airtable is great!

K

James_Dunn
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This would be a really valuable feature to add.

It would:

1. Speed up finding the record you need
  2. Reduce manual error from checking the table, locating the record, going back to the link field, entering the number

Would love to see a response on this from the Airtable team :slightly_smiling_face:

Josh_Geller
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Any updates on this much-needed feature?