Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

FR: Offline mode

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Evan_Smith
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This would show the last known table schema and data that was shown, but would allow to make records and sync when the mobile device comes back online. Issues would be resolved via the web to validate issues.

224 Comments
Y_K
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Offline mode is difficult. Merge conflicts WILL occur for sure. But Please consider implementing a read-only offline access first. It will not result in any merge conflict but will be extremely useful. Think of it like printing off a document and take the paper version with you onto a plane.

As for how much data to cache? That should be easy to work out based on user browsing history. Show an “unavailable” sign for anything not cached.

I believe some offline data is better than no offline data at all. At the moment all my data is unreadable during a flight or on high speed rail trains!

Jon_Blackman
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Having read-only access off-line would work perfectly for me. Think about creating a database of 1001 travel sites with associated restaurants and attractions (like a book). This could be built prior to travel and viewed on a laptop or phone at any location. It would be necessary to place the database in read-only mode while connected, which would be fine. Edits along the way could be added when reconnected to wifi.

Mike_Eovino
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

How would you want to use Airtable offline?
The First Tee of Greater Richmond uses Airtable to track student progress in our programs. Right now, we coaches use our own data to connect to Airtable on our mobile devices when we need to record information out on the golf course. If mobile data coverage is an issue out on the course, we are forced to write things down and perform data entry when we’re back in the clubhouse.

Also, coaches without a mobile device and mobile data plan must write everything down and record it later. It would be great to give them a WiFi-only iPad to use while coaching.

Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators?
With collaborators.

How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline?
Ideally, everything we can do online other than modify table structure.

How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually?
Honestly, not very tolerant. Our coaches have varying degrees of technical sophistication.

Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile?
Exclusively mobile.

Soi_Lon_Lei

Just a read only access for the existing database is huge for most people. it will be super helpful to quick search on the database even without internet connection!

Charles_Carlson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I want to use Airtable as a small, easy-to-use database tool for personal and small business use, whether online or offline. That, I thought from your marketing/branding, was the whole point of the app. I don’t want a Filemaker, I want a Bento. So all your worry about all these multiple users potentially making changes at exactly the same time that might mess up the database doesn’t make sense to me; that sounds like an enterprise app problem. I think you need to make up your mind what market you are targeting. As far as how I want to use it offline, I want to be able to make a few changes while I’m flying, either on the OS X app on my MacBook Air or on the IOS app on my iPad, when I’m up in the air with no internet access, and have them automatically sync next time I connect with wifi or cellular. Or maybe I’m out on my boat for the weekend, same thing. Or maybe I’m in a client’s office or the audience at a symposium and I’m having trouble getting the wifi password; there are many different scenarios where I temporarily can’t connect. I’m not looking to do huge amounts of work offline.

Right now mostly alone, although I anticipate collaborating with a small handful of, say, 1-5 people.

Would like it to be fully functional.

That would be time-consuming (time-wasting), so not very tolerant.

Both.

I’ve been searching around for a goo, easy-to-use simple database program. Started playing around with HanDbase but don’t like the complicated syncing methodology, so thought I’d look for something better. Your product is getting good reviews, and looks good to me, and the syncing problem is non-existent, as long as I’m online. The inability to work offline is a deal-breaker. May have to deal with the hassle of HanDbase syncing, at least I can work offline.

Waldemar_Loewen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am using Airtable in Africa. Internet connections are not stable. Dificult to be used when connections are interrupted. An offline modus could possibly prevent data loss and resume syncing when online again. Would be a very helpful feature, whcih would enable us to use the product on a much larger scale!

Stefan_Koegeler
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I would really appreciate an offline/sync feature.
E.g. if you planned your trip at home using Airtable and in the foreign country you do not always have internet access but would like to see what you planned.

Maybe a checkbox for each base which will allow offline/sync until the next WLAN Hotspot is available.

Read only as a 1st version will be cool.
But add/update of data for existing bases should also be possible.

Regards,
Stefan

Amiworkshop
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you for asking !!

Teacher/coach/artistic director,mo have a database of exercises and data about projects and evolution.
I (very) often work in places with not coverage, and one wifi.
I see much more a database as being based on my device and backed up on the net (+possibility to sing with my other devices).

I use it alone.
I had Bento and iDatabase, but they stop supporting their apps :frowning:
(Bento is a good example as the sync was between my MacBook and the I devices, without an online backup. IDatabase offered the possibility to backup (and also sync) with Dropbox) would you consider that as a possibility?

I would say: make it fully operational offline, so to have full autonomy is using the database. And the online connection is a bonus to backup and sync.
I would literally need it to be that way in order to be able to use it.

I can’t really answer this one for now.

I find your online facilities to be VERY USEFUL and answering my personal need of a database :slightly_smiling_face: )
So the real thing that I miss is the full offline use.

Thank you so much !

Ami

Exclusively mobile.

Kevin_Murray

I use AirTable for work editing a magazine. When working on an aeroplane or in a foreign country, I want to access a contact database and publishing schedule. Otherwise, I use Workflowy for less structured information, which works well offline.

Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators? Alone

How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline? Read only would be better than nothing. Otherwise editing and adding records. I wouldn’t need to make any structural changes.

I like manual.

Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile? Desktop on the plane, but mobile in the taxi.

bloddy_boggy
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Same here. Potentially great app let down by lack of offline access to data. E.G. myself and my partner have a holidays base with places we want to visit, etc. But it’s utterly useless if I’m out in a foreign country and have no data or roaming costs a fortune.