Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

FR: Offline mode

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Evan_Smith
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This would show the last known table schema and data that was shown, but would allow to make records and sync when the mobile device comes back online. Issues would be resolved via the web to validate issues.

224 Comments
Dori_Molozanov
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am so disappointed! I only recently downloaded Airtable and I love it, and I spent a good number of hours creating a base for a project Iโ€™ve been working on. Then I opened it up to work on a train, and I found out there is no offline mode! It didnโ€™t even occur to me that this feature wouldnโ€™t be available because it seems like such a no-brainer, or else I wouldnโ€™t have even started using it in the first place. What a waste of time that will have been if there is no offline mode, because there is no way I will use this product without the ability to work offline :frowning: which is too bad because I really like it!

1. How would you want to use Airtable offline?
    I want to be able to work with my databases even when I donโ€™t have internet accessโ€”for example, when traveling on planes and trains where there is no internet, or working in any place with weak internet access/no internet access. I use Airtable to keep track of legal research, I basically treat it like a spreadsheet in a lot of ways. I want to be able to update and add to my work even if Iโ€™m in a place without internet.

2. Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators?
    Alone

3. How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline?
    Everything. I want to make edits to my bases, as much as I want, and then have it sync next time Iโ€™m online. Similar to the user experience when editing documents in OneDriveโ€”I work with the document in offline mode, then save it and continue to access the saved updated version for as long as Iโ€™m offline, and it syncs next time I have internet without much if any intervention from me.

4. For how long do you need to be able to use Airtable offline?
    as long as possible.

5. How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually?
    Not very.

6. Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile?
    Desktop

Alex_Clavel
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Having the ability to work offline is an essential must have. Please Airtable guys. Iโ€™ll be the first to upgrade to paid when you do.

David_Rosenberg
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I had the exact same experience as one of the previous posters-- spent an hour or two using Airtable to set up a database for a project. Useful right from the start- a simple an elegant solution to something I would have otherwise used a spreadsheet app on the laptop for. Except I was working on my iPad, which was very cool.

Then got on my flight and stared with dismay at a blank screen.

Shawn_Baker

How would you want to use Airtable offline?
In all of the normal ways - reading and editing existing bases, adding new bases.

Do you use Airtable alone, or with collaborators?
Alone, but possibly with a small number of collaborators in the future

How much do you need to be able to do in Airtable while offline?
Ideally everything, but editing, adding and deleting records in existing tables at a minimum

How tolerant would you be of having to resolve merge conflicts manually?
Reasonably tolerant

Would you primarily be using offline mode on desktop or mobile?
Mostly mobile for offline

Giles_Croft

Hi, I too started using AirTable recently and was dismayed to learn the iPad/iPhone apps just show nothing when thereโ€™s no internet connection. I think a database app like this really needs offline mode for best use.

As a coach. Recording client meetings, in person (without reliable wi-fi) or on the phone (potentially remote, with no cell signal). Brush up on the details of previous meetings, that sort of thing.

Alone, for now

Read, edit existing records, add new records. Not so much tinkering with the database schema

For how long do you need to be able to use Airtable offline?
However long it takes. A few hours? A regular train journey I make โ€“ with incredibly patchy signal โ€“ takes three hours. Iโ€™d want to be working, using Airtable, the entire way, ideally.

Very tolerant. Itโ€™s just me. I know whatโ€™s the truth and whatโ€™s not.

Ideally both, but given the comparatively primitive iOS version, Iโ€™d settle for this being a mobile-only solution. If I knew I had to stick to iOS when working offline, thatโ€™d be ok.

Iโ€™ve read someone elseโ€™s suggestion for a sort of Offline toggle and that would work for me. If I knew I was going to be suffering wi-fi or mobile signal woes, but had work to do, Iโ€™d happily engage Offline mode, keep all my editing to the one device, and wait for the return home to switch back online and upload all my changes.

I definitely need to be able to see my bases, without an internet connection!

Thanks for listening.

Jessica_Brooks1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 - for use in rural India!

To view, edit, and capture new data.

With collaborators

Read, edit existing records, add new records. Not so much tinkering with the database schema

Possible a few hours

Very tolerant but likely not a problem.

Mobile only

Ptt_Pch
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

I would also love an offline mode on Airtable, as Iโ€™m currently trying to centralize more and more personal (and not so personal) things on it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: !

Well, Iโ€™ve got a concrete example.
Not so long ago, one of our cats got really sick and we had to hospitalize it in 2 different vet clinics in just a few days : one near us and the other one pretty far, in a rural area, with no Wifi.
We got information there, information here and in just a few days, I accumulate a big and heavy pile of papers I needed to take everywhere and consult during interviews with many different vets. And it was a mess.
I was exhausted, anxious and couldnโ€™t think straight so, I forgot things.
Since then, Iโ€™ve created a DB dedicated to our pets and I know can answer every precise question a vet could ask โ€ฆ but I need Wifi or roaming data (which I couldnโ€™t get in the 2nd vet clinic) on my phone which was dying quickly at that time.
As Iโ€™ve got an iPad, if there was an offline mode, I could have just taken these 2 devices and travel lighter (without a messy pile of papers). It would have been a lot easier and far less stressful.
This just an exampleโ€ฆ Iโ€™ve got many personal other onesโ€ฆ

Alone

Consult, populate and edit bases.

A few minutes to some hours.

Very tolerant if itโ€™s explicit : ยซ This what added while offline (by ยซ X ยป if collaborators) at that ยซ Date + time ยป > ยซ Accept / Reject / Merge ? ยป

Mobile

Alex_Clavel
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Offline mode is a must-have feature to crown Airtable king.

I use Airtable to manage my personal life, which includes a tremendous amount of traveling and my business. Iโ€™m constantly working while on the move- and without offline caching, Iโ€™m not even able to access Airtable content at all. Currently, Iโ€™m having to take screenshots of the things Iโ€™m working on, work on them offline, then work again to add them back into Airtable when I do have an internet connection. This is pretty bad. Also, I canโ€™t even count the amount of occasions I needed to access info that was only available on my Airtable that, without an internet connection, was frustratingly unaccessible.

Alone for now specifically because I canโ€™t rely on my staff to work efficiently without offline caching. Iโ€™m willing to do spend the hours doing the extra offline workarounds but canโ€™t force my team to do the same.

Review databases and uploaded content, add to and edit databases, drag and drop attachments that are immediately accessible locally and cloud sync when back online.

With all the traveling A LOT. But realistically, Iโ€™ll get wifi at least once a day so from a few minutes to 24hrs- though there definitely shouldnโ€™t be a time limit! Max 1GB of caching should be enough for pretty much everyone.

Very. Although this should work like Dropbox. Latest data automatically overwrites previous data, but thereโ€™s an option somewhere to view โ€˜Version Historyโ€™ with the ability to overwrite the current data with a previous version.

Mobile has to be the first priority but the Desktop version definitely needs it too for power users.

As a side note, Iโ€™m using the free version now but will absolutely upgrade when this functionality is built in as I can drop the other apps Iโ€™m using just to work around this offline limitation.

I love Airtable. Itโ€™s an amazing product that has completely changed the way I work for the better, but itโ€™s lack of offline support just makes it not quite entirely practical.

Hope this is being worked on and will roll out soon. Please keep me in the loop on this.

Brian_Niegocki
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

We use Airtable for out youth sports organization. Right now I use it for one team as without offline weโ€™re in too many remote locations that donโ€™t have a connection. Our parent organization is 60+ teams and would likely roll out a similar implementation. We often interact with partners, recruiters, college coaches, vendors, etc in remote locations. We would like to access data about players, venues, schools and other elements as they were last entered online.

With collaborators: players, coaches, parents.

Review last known state of the data and enter new data.

Odd question I think but typically no more than 24-72 hours.

This would be unlikely in our application - particularly if we could limit which tables could be edited offline. (I work in cloud/mobile/desktop software so this is a qualified estimation. Though if youโ€™re looking for a model to follow, try github!)

We would only use offline mode for mobile

Great product by the way. I have used QuickBase extensively and find Airtable to be far more connected to other services and far more accessible for end users.

Curt_Kanemoto
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I work as a film producer at a production company and travel frequently to shooting locations with various cell reception. Sometimes in the middle of corn fields and sometimes in rural landscapes with no cell reception at all. For Airtable to be a go-to no-brainer and for me to expand the usage of the product, I need to know I can access my Base anywhere in the world even if itโ€™s just for reference/read-only with FULL data access from the Base including attachments and files. If we canโ€™t see the data without an internet connection, the product becomes useless as soon as connectivity drops (bad location, weak internet, flights w/o wifi, 3rd world countries).

Currently alone, but hoping to expand to my assistant and other executives at the company.

Immediately need access to a read-only version of my Base. It would be wise to choose which Bases read-only offline access is needed for so the database size doesnโ€™t grow without cause.

At a future point, it would be nice to change various cellsโ€™ information based upon project we have in development. I use Airtable to manage my submission/read list and to track my notes different writers.

for read-only - indefinitely for Base Owners or have an admin choose how long a team-member should โ€œcheck-inโ€ to ensure data isnโ€™t stolen.

For editable Bases - whatever makes sense for Airtable. After that period of time has gone, the Base should transfer to Read-only.

I hate doing this. Whatever is frictionless.

Both are important. My heavy workload is done on a mac, but use mobile for reference all the time.