Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Google Map Block - Searchable

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Melanie_LaDue
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have the Maps block enabled in my table, but need to be able to search the map with an address and have it show the “nearest” locations from my database on the map. Is this possible? PLEASE say it is! ! Basically, it’s what I do in Google Maps, but can’t seem to figure out how to get a search box onto my Maps Block map!

13 Comments
Scott_Thomas

@Bill.French

Why do anything in a block? I may be missing something, but my inclination is to build a smart(er) system that doesn’t need human decision points (if at all possible) and even if there are some ambiguities with certain orders, treat those as process exceptions and provide a way to introduce human assistance when and only when needed through alerts and such.

I think that may be pretty complex for us. We have our whole system built and processes set up except for this last part. We are just trying to find a better way to optimize this step. Instead of comparing the Airtable map block that has our plotted orders, to the address we are trying to book plotted in Google Maps, and from there determining the best day and worker to book it for.

There are many things that determine what worker an order gets assigned to. Some workers can only do certain services. We need to book services for each day of the week and have their locations as close together as possible for each day, but a worker can also only perform so many services a day before they are over capacity. Etc…

As you said, I am sure there is a much smarter and automated way we could go about doing this, but I’m not sure if we have the necessary time/skills to build this at the moment.

Yes - this is entirely possible in a Script Block - a simple utility that lists the closest orders and selection links that perform a matching or linking process or whatever is needed.

Is there somewhere you can point me to that may help with this? I’ve been doing some googling but haven’t had much luck as of yet. If I can get this built it would be perfect for us.

Thanks again for all the help!

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Well, the tools necessary to do this are few in number and as you said, you really just want to meet this essential requirement. Your business exists because you made some good choices, so I believe you know what’s best and a simple closure of the current gap is probably wise.

What I’m suggesting won’t be found in Google because Script Blocks are so new - there’s probably not a hundred people on the planet that even know how to code in Script Blocks.

I would start with something simple - about a hundred lines of code that prompts for an address and then lists all the current orders/workers that are closest to that address.

Once you have that, then decide if it needs more or it closes the current gap.

You can build this yourself (with Javascript) or you can post a request here on the forum. I also have some cheap labor that could help at about $0.99/line of code and probably do it tomorrow.

Scott_Thomas

You can build this yourself (with Javascript) or you can post a request here on the forum. I also have some cheap labor that could help at about $0.99/line of code and probably do it tomorrow.

Thanks Bill. I will try my best and give it a go myself first. If I can’t get it sorted, I will post a request on the forum like you suggested or possibly contact you about that labor.

Thanks for taking the time to talk to me about this today. Cheers