Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Grouping Formula Functionality

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Christopher_Ren
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

It feels like the Grouping functionality in Airtable is limited in its usefulness. Grouping records by a given field makes some of my tables “Visually” more structured, however, the rollup field type could benefit from having some additional formulas that can logically recognize a grouping of records.

There are analytical functions available already, where you can select, AVG, SUM, and MAX, etc for a particular grouping, but no way to access the result of these values in formulas.

What would be great is if there was some way I could label/identify a particular group of records and access aggregate data from these groupings somehow.

Just a thought :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Comments
Lisa_H
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

When you Group things, the numbers columns automatically pop up with a line that you can select what you want it to do for that whole column of records in that group. You can tell it to Sum, or average or whatever that column within the group of records, as long as it has a number or formula for numbers in that column.

Is that what your talking about?

Kamille_Parks
16 - Uranus
16 - Uranus

No, I believe he wants to use the calculated sum of a particular group in a formula field. This isn’t currently possible in Airtable and I’m not even sure how they’d implement it.

Instead, you can make a new table with records for each group, and assign those records to the table being grouped. That way you could use the Rollup features we have to reference the sums/averages/etc. in formulas.

Andrew_Davies
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I would love to see this functionality too - tying myself in knots at the moment trying to achieve something that this would solve