Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Kanban columns based on formula field

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
John_Beaudoin
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Is there any way to use a Kanban view organized by a formula field? I have a workflow table with 15 checkbox fields for milestones (I tried single select first โ€“ it really isnโ€™t intuitive for the users). I created a formula that groups the milestones into 5 โ€œMacro Phaseโ€ groups. This works well in the grid view when grouping by Macro Phase, but it would be AWESOME to visualize it with a Kanban view.

I would rather not rely on a user having to select the Macro Phase, because that data could conflict with the checkbox data.

18 Comments
Chris_Malherbe
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

+1 for this, very useful feature.

Any update?

Rasmus_Geertsem
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+10 for this.

I just created formulas to automatically decide on the status of a task, based on due dates and activity. It proved to be useless because Kanban views donโ€™t recognize the outcomes of the formulas.

Elias_Gomez_Sai
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

Why do you want Kanban if you are not going to move your records, because it is automatic?

Rasmus_Geertsem
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Elias,

The formula automatically updates the status of the record. So is a Kanban view would be possible, the records would move between the different statuses, but automatically.

Bettina_Horvath
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there any update? I just had the EXACT same thing happen. Spent 2 hours working on that formula with all sorts of IF statements and then it turned out not to work for the Kanban view.
I want it for the pretty optics to show how the workflow is not to manually move the cards around.
I know I can group but thatโ€™s an entirely different view.

Joshua_Abraham
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

yes
title can use
really need
better function than trello
airtableโ€™ strong side

Kasie_Chaplick
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+10000 on this
I have my taskโ€™s status generated by a formula that looks at the due date. I would love to populate todayโ€™s tasks in a stack and the rest of my todos in another stack, then be able to update to done.

Sebastian_Siebe
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1000
Hard to believe this doesnโ€™t already work

Anyone has a workaround for this?

Rachel_Pearson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

As a workaround I have created a separate single select column, and use zapier to update this column based on the columns in airtable that Iโ€™m trying to use. Not ideal but seems to be working!

+1 kanban using formula field would be helpful though

Sebastian_Siebe
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Oh wow! Creative! Seems overkill for what we are trying to achieve, letโ€™s hope there is an alternative soon.