Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Kanban View based on Lookup field - single Select or Collaborator

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vernon_Fowler
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Continuing the discussion from Calendar View based on Lookup field dates:

Now that Lookup fields work for Calendar Views, please extend this functionality to Kanban View.

My use case…

I have a base that covers our video content management and review process. Three key tables and fields are:

1. Table of Videos: Title, Description, etc.
  2. Table of Reviews, including fields for when the last review was, a formula for when the next review is due, and who will do the review.
  3. Table of Account users, including fields for people’s name, their role in video content management, email address, and a Collaborator field type named Airtable user. (Most, but not all of the team will have Airtable accounts.)

I’d like Kanban Views of Videos / Reviews stacked by the Lookup field which references a single Airtable user. Videos / Reviews kanbans would be stacked by each Airtable user assigned. Any Videos / Reviews assigned to team members who aren’t Airtable users would be listed in the Uncategorized stack.

Lookup field extension is a massive feature extension for Calendar Views. Let’s do likewise for Kanban! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

14 Comments
Elias_Gomez_Sai
13 - Mars
13 - Mars

Maybe you can create an Automation that update the Kanban field from the Synced field.

Lauren_Briskin1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thank you! I should have closed the loop here. That’s exactly what I did. Here’s what I did:

This definitely works best with a paid version of airtable, because it requires syncs and automations, but I synced the original table with the statuses to the table with the kanban view.

(This part is probably extra, but I did it because I’m extra.) I made a linked record from the synced table to the table with the kanban view (they have an obvious relationship- records in both tables are the states of the United States and the District of Columbia). I added a look up field to that table with the status field. I also created a placeholder field for “status”- I only use it if for some reason there’s a problem with the automation, which there occasionally is.

Then I did created an automation- when the synced table’s status updates, the automation updates the status in the kanban view.

Graham_Drew
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi Lauren
This sounds really useful.
I am trialing AirTable at the moment and would have the same requirement, but no idea how the automations work yet. Is there anything you can share?
I have Process stages the work flows through in a table and want these to be the KanBan statuses, but core functionality doesn’t seem to allow.
Thanks
Graham

Lauren_Briskin1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

The automation ended up working fine for this, but I can barely remember what I did anymore. I have a single-select status field that I never touch in the table with the kanban view (you can even lock it and make the editing permissions only available to automations). Then I adjust the statuses on the other table, which has a bunch of other stuff that’s irrelevant to my developers.

When we update the statuses on the table we use most of the time, the automation updates the status view that the developers need.

I hope that’s helpful!