Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Link to other base

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Bacino
5 - Automation Enthusiast

So happy that someone finally filled the void left by Dabble DB.

One of the features I found most useful there, but can’t seem to do in Airtable, is linking to entries in another Base. Often, one will have multiple bases which handle distinct aspects of a business or project, but in which one piece of data overlaps.

Example: A political campaign may want Bases for contacting voters, managing events, and recording donations. Those are distinct domains which need their own Bases, but which could benefit from linking parts of them together. For example, it would be great to link donations to the event they occurred at, or voters to donations, or record who attended each event.

In Airtable at present one has to either cram all of those bases into one, or foregoe the linkage which makes this software so great. It may seem like a small thing, but once you can link bases, the sky is really the limit.

495 Comments
Pure_Pole_Acade
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey, just checking in on this feature as it’s been 1 year since you confirmed that linking between bases was on the implement list. Do we have any news on how far away this is yet? :slightly_smiling_face:

Ritvvij_Parrikh
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This feature would be really helpful. Any potential dates for when it is coming?

Chais_Meyer
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 - Thanks for the great tool!

We’re managing orders and customers in a single base, and it would sure be helpful to break them apart…then the customer base could become customer/marketing for specific campaigns and the orders base could be broken down even further without having so many total records in a single base.

Excited for this one!

T_Fab
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Wow - so many messages & people asking for interlinking of bases to keep their data nicely separated and ordered, yet no action from Airtable. Also, it would be really helpful to have finer permissions, like being able to protect some columns from certain user groups.

M-Pixel

In order to do this viably, they would need to completely overhaul their pricing model, since all of the tier limitations are “per Base” - that’s probably the biggest barrier preventing this from happening.

entropic
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

For sure another +1 here for all the above reasons.

As for the pricing model issue, I hear what you’re saying, but the effort of designing a new payment schema (and the possibility of alienating some users) seems tiny compared to the massive increase in design possibilities that come with base-to-base linking.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for this one.

Sergio_Lopez
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 !!! this is a must request

Julian_Kirkness
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

I can see how this would be very useful - I can also see how it may be very difficult for Airtable to achieve (depending upon how the system is structured).

The same end could be served by having the ability to hide parts of the base depending upon users (actually Groups would be better) - and only display the whole base to it’s designer / admin. In this way it would be workable to build much larger solutions in Airtable with everything in one base. (And in this way it would make the current pricing model work better for Airtable as well).

Scorance

I must see something different than you. Every one of the packages on the pricing page say “Unlimited Bases”.

Scorance

Just to jump on the bandwagon… I have a base simply called “data” that tracks our customers, contacts, endpoints, etc. I would like to have another base for “Tasks” and be able to reference all the tables in the other base. I could create a Tasks table in the main base, but I don’t necessarily want to expose all that to other users, plus it’s really started to get busy. Logically, they just seem like they should be separate.