Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Link to other base

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Bacino
5 - Automation Enthusiast

So happy that someone finally filled the void left by Dabble DB.

One of the features I found most useful there, but can’t seem to do in Airtable, is linking to entries in another Base. Often, one will have multiple bases which handle distinct aspects of a business or project, but in which one piece of data overlaps.

Example: A political campaign may want Bases for contacting voters, managing events, and recording donations. Those are distinct domains which need their own Bases, but which could benefit from linking parts of them together. For example, it would be great to link donations to the event they occurred at, or voters to donations, or record who attended each event.

In Airtable at present one has to either cram all of those bases into one, or foregoe the linkage which makes this software so great. It may seem like a small thing, but once you can link bases, the sky is really the limit.

494 Comments
Karl_Tang

I second this request.

Patrick_Meier
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Yes please, this would help alot.

Thomas_Schranz
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This would be super useful.

Matt_Nelson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I Third that request!

Dillon_Fagan
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This would be perfect for my business.

Chris_Rutledge

The absence of this functionality is making it difficult to implement this in the way that my org needs.

As John Bacino stated, one either has to put all that information into the form of tables in a single base, or to replicate that information in different bases (and/or update it manually wherever we’d like this data to be referenced).

A for-instance: We have a master member directory which I am using to connect information regarding anything from volunteers, positions, programs, purchasing, vendors, programs, etc. As it stands right now, I have a single base with a steadily growing number of tables, where it would be simpler for people entering the data to have separate to access. The only alternate I see would be the manual input/update of input in these different tables so that things would line up for reports.

That said, this is an amazing platform, and the implementation of forms (form view, links directly to the forms, being able to integrate it directly into a webpage) is perfect for our needs. Thank you for making this available to us.

I’m looking forward to the day when we can link records between bases.

Laura_Kranz
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m with everyone above! Being able to link to a record in a separate base would make this awesome tool even better.

Andrew
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

This feature is definitely on our roadmap. Unfortunately it’s a pretty big undertaking for technical reasons, and we haven’t had the chance to tackle it yet. We hear and appreciate your feedback on this though, apologies for not acknowledging it earlier.

Chris_Rutledge

I know enough to know that I have only the smallest grasp on the amount of work needed to implement a change like that.

When/if the day comes where we can link to a record in a separate base comes, there will be much rejoicing. For now, I’m still throwing everything I can think of at it to try and make it a “one-stop shop” for data for my org.

Thanks for the response @Andrew, and thanks @Airtable for making this platform. I’ve already found it to be very useful.

Dan_Day
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi there - I am a novise at this and only discovered Airtable this morning.
I had a thought, can you use zapier and sheets to send two zaps?
1 - when a record is created > sheet row, then another zap sees the new row and pushes it to another base?
Is anyone better technically than me, would this work?
Dan