Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Link to other base

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Bacino
5 - Automation Enthusiast

So happy that someone finally filled the void left by Dabble DB.

One of the features I found most useful there, but can’t seem to do in Airtable, is linking to entries in another Base. Often, one will have multiple bases which handle distinct aspects of a business or project, but in which one piece of data overlaps.

Example: A political campaign may want Bases for contacting voters, managing events, and recording donations. Those are distinct domains which need their own Bases, but which could benefit from linking parts of them together. For example, it would be great to link donations to the event they occurred at, or voters to donations, or record who attended each event.

In Airtable at present one has to either cram all of those bases into one, or foregoe the linkage which makes this software so great. It may seem like a small thing, but once you can link bases, the sky is really the limit.

495 Comments
Roberto_Navas
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

All of the above!

1. Permission delegation, where a team can manage their own Base & Tables, but they link to a “Master" table/base which they can only read from. At the same time enabling to keep a single “normalized” copy of that “Master” data. One example is a “Customers” or “Contacts” table which is used by several teams in the company for different purposes in different bases and tables.
  2. I don’t see this as urgent, but I can see how someone may need to consolidate data from multiple tables.
  3. Even if you implement table and record level permissions and ways to hide/show Tables in a Base, it goes against all useful information navigation features you provide: Workspaces -> Bases -> Tables -> Records… Now I’m forced to pile all tables in a single Base and single Workspace if I need to link data. Navigation and Separation of information is important as you have more users and data… it makes easy to find what you’re looking for, what is the context of the data you’re looking at, etc.

Regarding permissions implementation. Today Base permissions can be [read, editor, commenter and creator] granted to a [specific user]. The change will require to extend permissions to target [everyone] with ANY permission on [Target Base]

Ross_Sclafani
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I think this could also be solved by putting an organizational system internal to a base
all i have are tabs and a pretty poor popover. what i’d love would be a tree or folder system for grouping and navigating tables—then i actually prefer base being a boundary for linkage, as it makes me think clearly about the purpose of each base.

some utility other than copy and paste for moving tables between bases would then round out the solution, users would have a wonderful organization system for their organization system

Ross_Sclafani
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Airtable_Team ^ problem solved, holler @rosssclafani

Utility_Locator
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Yesss!! I vote for this request as well!

Zac
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

#Crickets
Airtable, would be awesome if you can share your plans for this. :cricket: :cricket: :cricket:

Cherissa_Medina

I vote for this as well!

Albert_Bau
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Another +1 for linking bases

Rodolphe_Cantil

+1 please we need we need !!!

Justine_Mosher
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 this functionality would be very useful!

Bas_van_Leeuwen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 This is really needed. For us to create a personal todo list for employees that are active in different departments it would be a great addition.