Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Link to other base

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Bacino
5 - Automation Enthusiast

So happy that someone finally filled the void left by Dabble DB.

One of the features I found most useful there, but can’t seem to do in Airtable, is linking to entries in another Base. Often, one will have multiple bases which handle distinct aspects of a business or project, but in which one piece of data overlaps.

Example: A political campaign may want Bases for contacting voters, managing events, and recording donations. Those are distinct domains which need their own Bases, but which could benefit from linking parts of them together. For example, it would be great to link donations to the event they occurred at, or voters to donations, or record who attended each event.

In Airtable at present one has to either cram all of those bases into one, or foregoe the linkage which makes this software so great. It may seem like a small thing, but once you can link bases, the sky is really the limit.

495 Comments
Jesse_Garrison
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1- it’s the only thing stopping Airtable from being the primary organizational tool for my biz.

Dwayne_Lofton
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi, just signed on to demo. But without the feature of being able to link data from other bases it just won’t work for me.

I’d be willing to sign on if I knew that it was coming soon.

Sabrina_Pereira

This is truly needed. Is it even in the road map? The way it is now works perfectly for small projects and personal use, but not being able to link to different bases makes it bit harder to use Airtable to it’s full potential in a larger organisation.

Jessica_Brooks1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is so necessary for business or any organizations with a hierarchy using this. It’s not possible to have a “manager view” of all information and then separate views for the employees. This is important for sensitive data or just overall protection of a client database. I can’t share all of our clients with every marketing/sales person, but if I separate the data into separate bases, I can’t see the marketing and sales progress holistically. Super disappointing.

Kirk_Mullis
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 on this big time pretty please!

Alex_Vyshnevski

+1 on this one! Super important functionality!

Aaron_Magnus
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is a big one for enterprise requirements and I’m able to do this relatively easy in Excel and Google Sheets at the moment, so it’s hard to justify moving everything over just yet. Is this a planned feature?

Allen_Price
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 - combing unrelated tables is not feasible. any update on this?

Julie_Barber

+1! There are so many reasons why this is a necessary addition. I just recently started getting into AT from excel because I needed a lot more flexibility. I work communications, marketing, and event planning for a regional non-profit and excel just wasn’t cutting it anymore, especially with regard to event planning.

Here is my current struggle:

I have a master contact base which consists of businesses/organizations and that links to the individual contacts I have for those businesses/orgs. These businesses are sponsors, vendors, service providers and donors for the events we host. This list grows continually as we’re adding sponsors and service providers and making new connections with each event.

Each event then has it’s own base which manages the entire individual event. Only some of my contacts are used in each event base. Most of them are not.

For now, my only solution is to maintain mini contact lists in each event base, but this is not a time saver and it’s a duplication of effort when I already have that contact in my master contacts base. It would save me tons of time and frustration to pull from that master list into my individual events, rather than have to find a workaround to get them in the event without having to retype all the same information in for each one. As it is now, I’m in the same boat I was in with excel. I also then have to maintain two lists during the course of each event, in case of an address or contact person change, and for documenting which businesses contributed to specific events.

I’m getting really frustrated trying to figure out a better way before our next big fundraiser in October.

Manuel_Imboden
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Very much +1 on this. @Airtable_Team would be great to hear your thoughts. ❤️