Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Link to other base

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Bacino
5 - Automation Enthusiast

So happy that someone finally filled the void left by Dabble DB.

One of the features I found most useful there, but can’t seem to do in Airtable, is linking to entries in another Base. Often, one will have multiple bases which handle distinct aspects of a business or project, but in which one piece of data overlaps.

Example: A political campaign may want Bases for contacting voters, managing events, and recording donations. Those are distinct domains which need their own Bases, but which could benefit from linking parts of them together. For example, it would be great to link donations to the event they occurred at, or voters to donations, or record who attended each event.

In Airtable at present one has to either cram all of those bases into one, or foregoe the linkage which makes this software so great. It may seem like a small thing, but once you can link bases, the sky is really the limit.

495 Comments
Maylene_So

At our organisation we have a base per Product/Product backlog. Linking bases would allow us to link dependency/integration tasks between products and therefore teams.

Yana_Makliassov
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1

Absolutely want to see this feature implemented soon.

kbitz

+1 - I would take this feature even if there were no other new features for a year.

Vegan_Scene
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Love Airtable so far, it has helped extremely with our overall organization.

Also, I apologize, I wrote this out in a new feature request and then found this open ticket so I just copy + pasted my initial quandary.

The one major issue we have started to come across is a way to manage multiple bases the same information in different capacities. i.e. we make clothing, so we would like a way to list all of our assets that go into the making of a final product on one sheet, quantity, date received, vendor, etc. On top of that also have a status sheet that allows us to identify the parts from the other base into the new one with the production aspects, being that the parts of it are now one product in production needing another sheet with status; where is it at, what factory, who is working on it? Beyond that even further another spreadsheet to correlate after this item is now a sellable item in our store and on our e-commerce site. All these aspects are different parts of the whole end product, and yes we could make one massive spreadsheet but it is a lot of information to be all on one base and that is a little too overwhelming and not quite how we would like our inventory/production tracking sheets to work. Is that kind of cross referencing possible?

Spencer_Field
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This feature would unlock so much potential for our team and empower us to spend time more time producing and less time managing.

Michael_Norris
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

+1 for me too. I would use it for connecting a central database of people with multiple events that involve the same people. This saves copying and pasting a table between bases, with the potential for duplication errors and version tracking to arise.

Michael_Norris
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

PS: if this was a pro feature, I would buy the Pro account just for it.

Guillaume_Merc1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 (+ 100 actually because of all my team)

This is so needed. We now have to have a ton of tables across the same base and many are not relevant from one to another. Would pay more for this.

Adam_Holt
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 this would be really useful!

Laura_van_der_S
  • This would be very useful and is quite needed!