Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Link to other base

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Bacino
5 - Automation Enthusiast

So happy that someone finally filled the void left by Dabble DB.

One of the features I found most useful there, but can’t seem to do in Airtable, is linking to entries in another Base. Often, one will have multiple bases which handle distinct aspects of a business or project, but in which one piece of data overlaps.

Example: A political campaign may want Bases for contacting voters, managing events, and recording donations. Those are distinct domains which need their own Bases, but which could benefit from linking parts of them together. For example, it would be great to link donations to the event they occurred at, or voters to donations, or record who attended each event.

In Airtable at present one has to either cram all of those bases into one, or foregoe the linkage which makes this software so great. It may seem like a small thing, but once you can link bases, the sky is really the limit.

495 Comments
James_Hereford
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1, this is likely the basis of a purchase decision for my team. Major handicap to not have this…

Brian_Davis

I like the idea of having better organization of tables including colors, hiding, nesting and tagging/foldering.

All of this would help organize tables in a base. Once this organization structure is in place, roles could utilize a base’s views of tables the same way a table uses views of records.

Then, sharing data between bases could be as simple as allowing a table to be synced between bases or allowing a table to reside in multiple bases but tables and fields would be filtered based on a base’s view.

In other words, isn’t the best approach to just make a base into a glorified tag of tables and then restrict those tables and fields with user views and roles?

This one feature would make AirTable the center of our app galaxy rather than just a huge star!

Matthew_Comer

Linking bases means: less income.

Your workarounds are logical, however Airtable could always make it possible but expensive. We don’t have the option of linking bases at any price point.

Brian_Davis

While I definitely agree this should be a paid feature, I also believe we would be vastly increasing our number of users if we could link bases. And, these increases in paid user subscriptions would reward AirTable with much deserved increases in revenue.

Shared bases could also increase revenue by connecting to AirTable managed bases with data supplied by 3rd parties or other fancy integrations. —I’m just saying if this is about the business model…let’s sort it out because securely linking bases is going to be essential for any company looking to make AirTable their primary source for truth.

Roy_Munin
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Please Please Please!!!

Christine_Prefo
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

We would love to have one list for each of the following: clients, projects, product/service offerings. Otherwise I have to re-create each time.

Jim_Bodio
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is it possible to link or share tables between multiple bases? I’d like to have a common company/account table that can be used in one base that’s focused on CRM and another that’s focused on product feedback and support? Is that possible with AirTable? If not, it would seem to be a big miss that would force me to either create a super-mega-base that supports all desired use cases that have any shared data or have a bunch of redundant versions of the data that’s common between use cases.

Mac
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

The mega base can work, that’s where I am at right now. However the guys over at @openside have a solution for you using Zapier and their on2air product.

https://openside.com/product/on2air-actions/

Tuur
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Like @Mac said, only with custom solutions.

E.g. I have a couple of clients running lots of bases (even > 100) synced for over 2 years now. I had to create a custom web service for that though. :slightly_smiling_face:

Devon_Petley
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

New to AirTable at the Pro level. Have read through this thread, and it appears I’m not alone in the need to link across bases. With the clear demand from users on this, just wondering if AirTable themselves have weighed in on this. Is it something they at all plan on expanding? I’ve seen the third party workarounds via Zapier and Opentable – definitely not my first choice to get some outside add-on to integrate and have to pay more money and have to worry about two additional accounts just to get this to work and so on…

Just interested to know if AirTable has acknowledged this thread/demand in any way?