Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Link to other base

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Bacino
5 - Automation Enthusiast

So happy that someone finally filled the void left by Dabble DB.

One of the features I found most useful there, but can’t seem to do in Airtable, is linking to entries in another Base. Often, one will have multiple bases which handle distinct aspects of a business or project, but in which one piece of data overlaps.

Example: A political campaign may want Bases for contacting voters, managing events, and recording donations. Those are distinct domains which need their own Bases, but which could benefit from linking parts of them together. For example, it would be great to link donations to the event they occurred at, or voters to donations, or record who attended each event.

In Airtable at present one has to either cram all of those bases into one, or foregoe the linkage which makes this software so great. It may seem like a small thing, but once you can link bases, the sky is really the limit.

495 Comments
raj_dhiravani
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Please implement linking to another bases.

Kate_Wright

Linking to other bases would be very helpful for what we are trying to accomplish with our company’s new hire onboarding process.

I’d like to have a single point of entry of employee information, but share only pertinent information with a 3rd party vendor (that would be a collaborator on a separate base) for setting up an account and login information on their platform. I’d rather not have to enter this information in twice (error in redundancy, and maintaining the integrity and privacy of our employee’s information, etc).

Also, as I’ve seen on other posts in this topic, to ensure granular permissioning of what data can be viewed and edited–and by whom.

Lynne_Fetterman

Hi Kate- While I am strongly in favor of linking bases, do you know you can share just a single view within an airtable? You can also password protect it, and allow read only or edit access. So, you can filter out info you don’t want to share by creating a view specifically for the 3rd party vendor, the click the arrow at the right end of the table menu. Select your options there for sharing permissions. If you are on a pro account for this base you can password protect access via the link as well.

Paulo_Gaspar
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This is a very important feature for us, and is preventing us using Airtable across over 200 employees. Any timeframe for this?

Lukas_Van_Vyve
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Another vote for linking bases; or at least more granular permissions. Technical difficulties asides, this seems like such a logical feature, especially seeing the way Airtable markets itself (“centralize your assets”) :slightly_smiling_face:

Brandon_Lackey
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I agree, this is a needed addition to the Airtable platform the ability to link to another base

Casey_Batson
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there anyone from Airtable that could let us know if this feature is on the roadmap or not? If yes is there an expected timeframe? Our company continually has to work around this limitation.

Karen_Nemeth
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Another +100. I have a CRM built for my company in one base and separate bases for investment, sales, recruiting, marketing, etc. Each of those needs to link to people in the CRM. It would not serve us well to include all these different pipelines into one CRM, for both organization and confidentiality purposes.

Is there any news as to where this feature is in the roadmap?

Sepehr_Sisakht

Hello, any one here? I think this would also address the security issue , so we can share one base with some people and another with some other such that linking still works but not everyone has to see everything. Sounds like a good solution to me to kill a few birds. I wonder why Airtable team is so quiet on these threads… :frowning:

Annabelle_David
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have so many tables in my base currently but I need them all to be talking to each other so its the only option. Agree with all the comments above.